Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 15:16

Plan:
Stats: 189/185/160
BF:
Progress:
Question

I have been on the atkins diet now for about 4 weeks and have lost 7 lbs..it seems like it is not coming off quick enough. I dont know if I should switch at this point to The Zone Diet or The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet.

Also..I have been eating a Low Carb 2 bar (the smores one is fantastic) in the afternoon...should I not be eating many of those bar? I find that it holds me over..and has a sweet taste...

I guess I am just not sure if I am doing this diet correctly? Any reponses would be appreciated..

thanks!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 17:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default bars

Hi..some folks have a problem with low carb bars stalling them.

Personally, I would try cutting them out completely for a few days.

I find the longer I've low carbed...the less I crave these kinds of things.

For me, I just wish there were more things available to grab when we are in a hurry, i.e. low carb muffins already made!!!!

Good luck....hang in there....7 lbs in 4 weeks would be a great accomplishment for me.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 18:38

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

7 pounds in 4 weeks is terrific. that's the best rate to lose at for keeping the weight off. it's what weight-loss experts recommend. i agree with sharon. why don't you try skipping the bars if you want to lose faster. you're doing a great job!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 22:40

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Hi, puppy!

Seven pounds in four weeks is great. I'm lucky if I lose a pound a week. In his book, Atkins makes quite a thing about people losing weight quickly, and maybe some do, but from what I've seen (and read), that's more the exception than the rule.

However, since low-carb is a fairly painless way of eating, a couple of weeks (or months) more or less shouldn't make that much difference over the long haul. I figure, hey, in a year I'll be a year older no matter what I eat, but if I'm also 20 pounds lighter, then that's a bonus!

Rachel
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-01, 05:55

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Good attitude Rachel,

With me I'm just happy to have this new energy with me. Its wonderful to get through the day without feeling sluggish, and for that matter to jump out of bed every morning ready to rock and roll! So far this has been without my alarm clock, sure hope it keeps up...LOL

Now don't get me wrong, Wendy has such a desire of losing weight too, heck I have at least 35lbs to lose... but in the past I have done the so called diets and sure enough, lose the weight quickly and be sure to get it back once I return to regular eating habits!

With low carb eating, my attitude now is, looking to eat this way the rest of my life! (Oh god, even the veggies!). Pretty much instead of concentrating on dieting I am concentrating on eating healthy.... yet at the same time losing weight!

My advice to all who are impaitent...relax, enjoy the new found energy, and realize this is not a fad diet. Just think, with the time it takes to lose your weight, your also learning how to eat healthy too. Try not to concentrate so much on the scales....I know, easier said then done....remind me of this posting when I am crying the blues....LOL

Truly though, I do believe with learning this woe and not looking at it as so much as a diet and trying to watch pounds come off with in weeks...may help you to enjoy your new found energy instead of concentrating on what have I lost today?

Wendy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-01, 11:40

Plan: Zone
Stats: 179/155/149
BF:
Progress: 80%
Thumbs up Congratulations!

NumberOneWendy,

Give yourself a pat on the back, girl. The energy is the most amazing part!

It's like coming out of a lifelong fog. I'm up ~ 6:00 am or so most mornings, whereas before (in my sugarhaze) I would hit the snooze button three or four times and drag myself up finally by 7:00 am.

When I get home I can't wait to get on my bike or hit the gym (Westcoasties rejoice in spring weather! - biking RULES!) instead of hitting the couch with the remote and my dinner plate.

I've been contemplating the first 10 lbs lost - I pick up my 5 lb freeweights and put them both in one hand and realise it's quite a bit of stuff I'm not hauling around anymore. Makes it a lot easier to spring out of bed, which I've kept low to the floor so I have to remind myself of my yoga moves just to get up in the morning....

Friday nights at the gym are the best - all the girlies are out getting ready for dates, so it's just a few of us old broads sweating away. They play 80s music on the radio, all my favourites, so it is just a sweet time just for moi.

We do deserve it!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-01, 11:47

Plan: Zone
Stats: 179/155/149
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Puppy, Don't Despair!

Puppy, you have to be patient.

It took years to put it on, it's going to take more than a few weeks to take it off.
You might want to check out the Zone. It allows fruit and olives and nuts for snacks (I'm starting to sound like a broken record on all my posts, here...), which I find WAY more satisfying than any pseudo-sweet thing.

Also, are you exercising at all and drinking tons of water? You gotta do it, girl. There ain't no way around it.

Hang in there, it'll happen for you. Like NumberOne sez, it's a lifelong thing. We're all in this for the long haul.