Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 08:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183.5/181.5/120 Female 62 in
BF:39.6%/40.5%/20%
Progress: 3%
Default brand of bacon?

My husband and I had a fling with Atkins last year. We were all for it for two months, fell of the old wagon, gained it all back and then some -yada, yada, yada. Anyhow, we decided to go about it this time with the proper mindset (hopefully), and make this a way of life. Anyhow, last year bacon was a constant question in our house. Again, it's a weekly confusion.

Most bacon anywhere that we've seen (aside from a "no sugar added" Kroger brand..which is quite a drive from us) lists sugar as an ingredient. Is it enough sugar to affect this diet? Do you all eat it?

Also, in the book, Atkins suggests avoiding nitrates. I know the schmeal about it being bad, but does it actually slow down weight loss?

*Other* than going to a health food store, where can we get bacon is OK to eat? What brand names do veteran LCers buy and/or where do they go to buy it?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 08:55

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

I get low sodium bacon, they ususally have it at Kroger or Walmart. Eat the bacon, you'll be fine.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 09:04

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I eat bacon. I don't buy anything special--just what is on sale. I do check carbs and all the ones I buy say zero and most do list sugar as an ingredient. It is too much work to worry about ity bity bits of carbs. I eat it daily and I lose.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 09:04

Stats: 193/170/130 Female 61 inches
BF:BMI 32
Progress: 37%

Hubby and I discussed the Bacon Problem to death when we started. First we went to every store to check out labels and discovered if we were going to eat bacon, we would just have to pick the lowest one. That's what we did. I buy Hormel, low-sodium, at Krogers. We've been eating it since Sept and have lost 60 lbs together.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 09:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

About the only sugar free bacon I can find here is Jennie-O extra lean turkey bacon.

A little bacon probably won't hurt you. I have a couple slices most mornings. Just read the lables and tyr to find a brand that has sugar listed low on the ingredient list, and only one kind.

Pretty much all processed meats such as bacon, ham, lunch meat, salami, sausage, and so on have sugars and tons of salts. They should be limited in induction, and probably after
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 09:48
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I buy Gwaultney bacon at Publix..
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 12:15

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Also, in the book, Atkins suggests avoiding nitrates. I know the schmeal about it being bad, but does it actually slow down weight loss?
\

Since starting this WOL, I noticed that if I have nitrates/ites I get a HUGE headache! I am also very sensitive to salt. Both make me retain water like mad.

Is there a Trader Joes near you? They are only semi-health food, and they are very inexpensive, contrary to popular belief. I go there to get nitrate free foods, but also pick up things that would cost me twice as much at the regular grocery.
I also like to get my 1/2&1/2 there. No fillers like carageenan gum or whatever it is. Those add carbs.

If regular bacon doesn't bother you, I would agree to at least get a low-sodium type.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 09:10
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 172/158/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

yeah - trader joes rocks - i'm visiting the chicago area right now and hit one in wrigleyville to stock up. in california they carry niman ranch uncured bacon. couldn't find that one in the chicago store though.
they do rub with sugar but it's never bothered me - it's minimal.

niman ranch has a web site where you can search for stores: http://www.nimanranch.com/ or order online.

the products i've had are all excellent.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 09:43

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

i try to stock up on meijer's low sodium bacon when it's on sale. no sugar added to it. but in a pinch i'll get whatever's on sale.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 09:50

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I buy usual bacon offcuts and wash them well in cold water before cooking. This makes them less salty and I presume washes out some of the sugar and other things too.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:12

Stats: 183.5/181.5/120 Female 62 in
BF:39.6%/40.5%/20%
Progress: 3%
Default thanks :)

thanks for all the replies. To the person that brought up Meijer low-sodium, thanks so much! I live in MI and there is a Meijer close by. I got the bacon, and actually liked it better than the salt filled kind. And no sugar added to boot.

Carrie

My Fitday Journal
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:02

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I have had 4 slices of bacon each morning since day 1. I usually get the Oscar Mayer brand, I like the taste of it the best. I have never had a problem losing with it.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:12

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I don't eat much bacon, I use it for cooking or to add to a salad. We raise pigs with a friend (he keeps them at his place thank the lord! LOL) and this year we split a whole pig instead of keeping the whole thing. Big mistake. We ran out of bacon and the stuff in the store is so nasty and fatty to me know that I can't just eat a strip of it on it's own.
You might try a butcher, I usually just buy what's on sale, but occassionally I stop by my friends Meat Shop and buy some organic bacon, that is the best, but very spendy!

Wee
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:05

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Never bothered me, other than the water retention. I eat bacon every day - Hormel Black Label Low Sodium.

Eat away.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:39

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I eat Hormel Black Label Low Sodium most every day. It is yummy!