Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 08:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199.8/197.2/135
BF:
Progress: 4%
Question Carbs in black coffee?

Hi there. New to this forum and Atkins WOE.

Someone suggested I use www.fitday.com as a tool to help me lose weight and while I was imputting today's foods, I had to be honest and admit that I've had 5 cups of coffee, which I thought was carb-free. Turns out fitday does not agree. It's showing 5 carbs and 24 calories from 5 8 oz cups of coffee.

I drink it black with half a Splenda.

Can this be true? Am I sabatoging myself and didn't even know it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 10:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I wouldn't say you were sabotaging yourself. Now you know! Low carbing is a learning curve and you're going through the process of learning. You don't become an expert overnight so don't be too hard on yourself.

Only pure protens and fat are carb-free. Organ meats and shellfish have carbs too.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 10:46

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Remeber carbs come from plants, coffe is plant material.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 11:24

BF:

Thanks for the answers;

I just didn't want to be adding carbs that I didn't know about. You're right, this is a learning curve and I know I will get better at it.

Never thought about them being a plant, therefore having carbs.

Maybe I'll be able to cut down one cup a day until I can wean myself entirely.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 11:55

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

I cut back to one large mug a day - which is 2 carbs - 9 calories. I always include it in my daily carb count. I drink it black so that is the extent of the damage! LOL! I love my coffee too much to cut it out entirely - but I significantly cut back. The key is to keep it at a manageable level and to include it in your count.

One more thing to remember - each pkt of sweetner is 1 carb (rounded up) as the filler to make it granulated adds some carbs. So be aware of how many carbs you are adding by sweetening the coffee as well.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 13:49

BF:
Talking

I can see it now. One quart sized coffee a day will do! LOL, thanks for the info on the Splenda, too.

Well, I still think I'm losing. My clothes are looser and my thighs don't rub as much!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 22:54
Registered Member

Stats: 190/178/140
BF:
Progress: 24%
Unhappy I forgot!!!!

I'm glad I came across this posting. I was on the Atkin's plan a couple of years ago (and stopped for purely emotional reasons -- too much stress, so I turned to my old favorites for comfort ). When I started up again last Wednesday, I only skimmed through the book -- I'm also glad I've only been drinking two cups a day (each with about a teaspoonful of heavy cream) -- but that has put me 2 carbs over the limit for each day
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 00:24
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 145.5/145.5/117
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Day 5

I have one cup - decaf w whipped cream...and only decaf lemon tea in the afternoon...

Ive kept to two eggs and ham for breakfast; one bowl of salad with tune for lunch and one bowl of veggies w fish/chicken for dinner..

Does ths sound OK? Im paranoid about not losing weight...!!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 10:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Inspire, I don't think you're eating enough. You're still in the low-cal mentality. Low-carbing is different and you need to eat or you won't stay on this way of life.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 22:38
Registered Member

BF:
Wink Thanks...

This is great news.. I know my carb count has been about 10-12 but I feel full..is there a suggestion that I can add..that is different and inspiring?

Thanks for your reply...its very considerate of you! Im glad I found all of you. It helps hugely

Inspire
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 00:50
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Yes, you can add fats into your veggies...olive oil or butter...make nice salad dressings, and experiment with interesting recipes and vegetables. There's a thread on trying new veggies that is very good!

You should have nearly 70% fat, 25 % protein and 5% carbs...more or less. So add the mayo into the tuna salad, eat some salmon, pork chops, roast beef...I'd keep the cheese limited to about 3 oz. during induction, but you can scramble eggs with mushrooms, leftover broccoli or peppers, etc. and make some nice omelets or quiches for lunch.

EAT up!! You should never be hungry or bored. There's a great mock potato dish...cauliflour with sour cream, shredded cheese, bacon bits, chives...(cook cauli first), mix all together, season and bake for about 30 minutes...It's yummy, a good veggie, but keeps your calories and fats up there!

Good luck,

#12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 01:17
Registered Member

BF:
Default Great!!

Will try...sounds yummy; Thanks a Ton. I admire the amount you ve lost. You are great inspiration. How long did it take you?

Inspire
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 07:25

BF:
Arrow

Thanks to all of you for your replys. I almost didn't ask the question, as I thought it might be too trivial to ask. Now I know that this is a very friendly, helpful group around here!

A friend of mine suggested that I buy whole bean coffee and mix my own "half-caff", then grind it myself.

I think that is a very good suggestion.

I only had 2 cups of java yesterday and didn't feel like I was missing anything.