Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 21:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/196/155
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default The Sugar Gremlins

HI everyone, I have not posted in a while as things at work and life have been so hectic leading up to the Christmas season.

Of course this time of the year is a baddie for me with all the sugar gremlins about. Already I have had functions where the foods were loaded carbs and sugar. Now its funny that I just avoided the carb loaded foods and yet thought it would be okay to "just have a taste" of the sugary ones!!!!! Amazing how the cravings can get started from just one taste. Since the function I have had cravings for something sweet. I have not had the hunger pangs or the drop in blood sugar, but just the thought .. "mmmmmmmm something sweet would be good. " Dangerous stuff I reckon.

Hence the reason I am back posting at this great forum. I do not want to put on any weight, and as I still have a lot of weight to lose I need to stay focused on my new way of eating.

I want to know if anyone else gets the cravings from just one bite and what measures were taken to avoid the urge for sugar gremlins.. lol...

I hope you all have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS. and a Happy Low Carb New Year!

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 23:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I want to know if anyone else gets the cravings from just one bite and what measures were taken to avoid the urge for sugar gremlins.. lol...

Never take that one bite. It's just not worth the agony. Drink lots of water, put a piece of cheese or meat in your mouth...anything but the one bite. Start a conversation with someone far away from the sugar pit.

Ask yourself before you take the first bite if you are operating from the strongest or weakest part of yourself. If it's the weakest, it's off the island.

Bring a LC chocolate bar with you.

If you deliberately want to go on a sugar spree, that's one thing. Then, do it all at once and get it over with.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 23:31

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi KarenAnne,

Real sugar has that effect on me too. However my body seems to be easily fooled and sugar free jelly (Am: jello) was one of the things that helped me through induction. I also like sugar free polos (mints) and sugar free gum also satisfies my desire to put something sweet in my mouth.

Some people react badly to artificial sweetners others tolerate them OK. Some people just give up eating anything sweet.

Karen's advice is very sound. If it is real sugar leave it alone.

Greetings from a snowy and cold Belarus. Sometimes I wish I were somewhere like Qatar!

Robert
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 06:08
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I've been posting this same advice around the board (so exuse the dupe here) because it's worked for me: When cravings strike take a capsule of glutamine and they virtually disappear within 5 mins or so!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 10:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

SUGAR =

I firmly believe in the "one bite sinks the ship" theory. It's not a popular view, but it's the reality of my life.

Why "treat" yourself to something you know isn't good for you. Worse, it's going to make you feel bad. And that's no treat, sugar.

Good luck!

Donald