Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 17:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/175/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Question Is anyone else find this a struggle,

I find it so hard to get my carbs up two where
they should be alot of day's. I eat alot of low carb
veggies ,it seem's like i'm
eating all the time when i'm not hungery. Just to keep my
carb low & my other's (fat & pro& cal's) where they should
be.
Maybe it's just because i'm still not used to eating like i used to.
"You know the no breakfast or skipping the lunch only to eat like a
horse at dinner & at night watching,lol."
But it sure seem's like i'm eating alot more now just to get in that 20
to 25 carbs everyday.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 17:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi! Are you sure you're counting them all? Eggs have .6 each, cream has about a gram per tablespoon, cheese has about a gram per ounce, coffee has a gram per 8 oz cup, most salad dressings have a gram or two per tablespoon... those little ones add up fast.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 17:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Yep, Keep track on fit day right up to the last once.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 17:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Bet ya never thought you'd say that about a diet, huh? I know I never did! I am 10 weeks into the diet and most of the time am not hungry at all. I'm like you in that I just make myself eat a lot of the time. I guess we are lucky though because some people are hungry all time with bad cravings. There are carbs in things that we sometimes don't think about, like eggs, coffee, packages of artificial sweetner...is it possible you might be getting in more carbs and just not realize it? Have you posted your food choices in FitDay to check? Also it isn't written in stone that you have to get 20 grams of carbs daily. You just don't want to go drastically below that on a regular basis. Congrats on your weight loss so far! Good work!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 06:47

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Great thread. I haven't been taking in 20 carbs a day since week 2 (am almost finished week three) because I was allowing for the "hidden carbs". Just how bad is it to stay around 15?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 10:12
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Are you adding your veggies too?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 12:25

BF:

Yes, usually a plum tomato with breakfast and salad (romain, 2 or 3 c), green beans or asparagus (1 c) at night. The veggies are where 95% of my carbs come from. Only have a little cheese, usually grated into my morning eggs. And I'm in week four!! Except for agonizing over giving up diet Coke, this has been an easy way of eating for me. I'm getting three meals a day for the first time in about 20 years!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 14:07
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank's for all the responce's I was starting to wondering if i was normal,lol.

Thanks again,
Toni
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 16:03

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

tbaker,

I understand how you feel. I've been using the Atkins WOE since Aug 3rd. I am not hungry at all and have to make a concerted effort to eat. I've set myself on a schedule so that I eat simply because it is time to eat.

Besides ... for me being in ketosis ... my mouth tastes like ... well actually I'm not sure what it tastes like ... BUT it tastes so nasty that who'd want to eat anyway? YUCK.

One benefit of the loss of appetite is that I'm not getting bored with induction. I could eat the same thing day in and day out and it wouldn't matter. When I do eat I feel stuffed no matter if I eat several smaller meals a day or 3 larger meals. I'm grateful and was astonished because all my other attempts at weight loss always left me feeling hungry and deprived (maybe even depraved as well!)

Good luck to you
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 16:33

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

To be honest, I don't think it matters all that much whether to get that close to 20 carbs/day on Induction, as long as you continue to lose weight. Even with veggies, I only averaged 4 carbs/day in my 1st week of Induction, and 6 carbs/day in my 2nd week...but I still dropped 21 pounds(!) during that period. Obviously, my body didn't have any idea that I might be starving.

IMHO, only if you "stall" in your weight and/or inch loss, do you need to seriously consider raising your carbs...but your fluids are another story...you can't skimp on these. This is my experience, YMMV.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 16:46

BF:
Smile

Thanks for the reassurance, Geo. I'm not losing weight at NEAR your rate...I will be at at least a 10 lb. loss at the end of this week, which will make a month of Induction for me. But I am losing inchs all over, so I'm not concerned. BTW...in all the stories and pictures I have seen while researching this WOL, I have noticed men lose more, faster and it shows sooner. Proof to me that Yes, God is a man!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 20:32

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 204/204/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

Ok I started this diet on Wednesday at my doctor's advice because of elevated blood pressure. I am 5 ft. 2 inch and weight about 200 pounds. I am STARVING all the time since starting it. I just can't eat enough to fill me up without my normal bread and potatoes and carbs! Am I doing something wrong? I feel so hungry I can barely stand it right now. Also, is ranch dressing okay AND what about all the salt that is in bacon and meat? Seems bad for bp. Well, here is what I had today. Where did I go wrong? I literally feel like I haven't eaten in days and I ate just a bit ago. For breakfast I had 3 strips of bacon and two scrambled eggs because I can't think of anything else that would not have too many carbs for breakfast. For lunch I had 6 grilled chicken strips, a small bowl of broccoli and a small green salad with a spoon or so of egg and cheese with a spoon or so of ranch dressing. For a snack I had an Atkin's chocolate bar and a few pork rinds with hot sauce. I agonized over supper because I was sooo hungry so I had bacon and eggs and coffee again. I had 4 slices of bacon and two eggs again with two cups of black coffee. What can I do to not be hungry and stay on inductin. The lack of variety is killing me. HELP!!! I really don't see how all this fat and salt is going to help blood pressure.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 04:30

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

FromVA--yes, men do lose faster initially, but they tend to stall more easily too, I think. It probably all evens out in the end. (and if HE isn't a guy, we're all headed for an extreme case of gender-confusion when we meet our Maker!)

Nonnahs--you should never be hungry on Atkins. I think what you are experiencing is described as "sugar addiction". Hang on for 3-5 days and it will get MUCH better, I promise you. As for the problem with understanding how salty food can help lower blood pressure, the important thing is that this diet has worked to lower BP's for tens of thousands of people during the last 30 years, and it will for you, too. The technical explanation is that the diet acts as a natural diuretic, more effective than some of the traditional prescription diuretics. You are running a huge amount of water through your system every day (at least, you should be), and this water carries away the wastes that build up in your kidneys. The net result is that your fluid volume goes down (all of the water-weight you lose during Induction) despite any increase in salt in your daily intake. The reason you normally restrict salt is to reduce the amount of water that is retained in your body...but the natural diuretic effect of this WOE (way of eating) does that for you. It will take a little while for you to see the benefits...probably 30-90 days, but you will definitely lower your BP and feel a lot better. Just give it a little time.

BTW--you are going to have a much easier time of it if you can switch to decaf and keep the diet chocolate bars out of your menu for the 1st couple of weeks. Both of these things, caffeine and alcohol-sugars (like what are in the bars) create extremely strong cravings for carbs in a certain percentage of dieters. You are working against yourself if you can't lay off of these things for Induction.

Last edited by geo53562 : Fri, Aug-15-03 at 04:40.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 04:39

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

Nonnahs, the best thing I did was go to the journal section and look at everyones fitday references -= that showed me what people could eat.

For example try some cream cheese and celery
or salami
plus I would personally go for more chicken/lamb/steak than bacon and eggs

and remember you can eat as much of the protein as you want, some of the fat (cheese etc ) does have carbs in so you have to watch those.

And also if you were a sugar carb junky then you are going to feel a little rough for about 3-4 days whilst your body gets rid of it all...

Either keep at it you will see and feel the benefits

Sarah
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 05:53

BF:

Noonahs: I was hungry all the time for the first several days, but it passed. When you are trying to lose weight there isn't a diet out there that doesn't leave you hungry, and the low-fat one will have you starving every minute of every day. Give yourself time to adjust. I've BTDT! Just be sure you drink LOTS and LOTS of water - that is one of the biggest keys to success. Every time I go a day where I don't pay attention to my water intake, I pay the next day with "hunger" pangs and don't feel as well. I feel so much better overall; I have given up my Diet Cokes because of the sodium and caffiene. This was my biggest sacrifice, and I did it because after a month, I could feel the difference they made when I drank them. For me they were like chips or cookies - one is never enough! DON'T GIVE UP - these feelings will pass and at the end of the day, soon, you are going to realize you weren't hungry!