Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/189/150
BF:
Progress: 3%
Unhappy despearate need for help! :(

yesterday was my last day of induction. and i weighed myself and did my measurement. everything is the same as 2 weeks ago when i first started induction. i ate everything right, exercised, take supplement. and still i didn't lose an inch.

then i saw one of my friends yesterday who i haven't seen for a while. the first thing he said was "so how many months are you (in your pregnancy)!!" i was so hurt and depressed afterward. i cried for 3 hours and my husband was there to comfort me. then at night, we had to go to a friend's b-day party. and i just ate whatever there was: rice, juice, cake and ice-cream!! i thought, "well, i can't lose any weight anyway, why should i continue". but after i stuffed myself, i knew that i can't continue to binge. i knew i had to stop. so i decided to go on fat-fast tomorrow. can i get some suggestion before i start the fat fast diet??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 17:32

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi Bobo,

Sorry that things didn't start so well for you on induction.

A few thoughts which might point you in the direction of "why"

Were you drinking lots of water?
Were you eating enough?
Did you have plenty of veggies and up to the 20gr allowed on induction?

If you list out the sort of food you wre eating, I might be able to give you some pointers. Also, a LC regime is uite a shock to our metabolism. ALl of a sudden we want our bodies to change its fuel source....from glucose to fat. SOmetimes this can be a bit confusing, especially if we are habitual dieters. The ole bod says uh oh...here she goes again, what is it this time!?? Sometimes pereverence will get you through that.

Maybe carying on with induction a while longer would be best so that your body can "relax".

HTH
Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 17:47
Registered Member

BF:

this is what i usually eat:

Breakfast:
1 large egg with 1/4 of hot link, 1 slice of cheese with 1 tbsp of sour cream, 1 tbsp of bacon bits, and tobasco

Lunch:
1 cup of Broccoli
1 serving of Baked Salmon
1 pork chop

Dinner:
2 cups of salad with mushrooms, bacon bits and 1 tbsp of caesar salad dressing.
1 Beef steak (7oz)

i used fitday.com and i have about 67% fat, 30% protein and 3% carb.

i drink 8cups of water. i do eat enough cuz i'm never hungry. i know i'm doing everything right. but my body is just not burning fat!!

so should i go on fat fast??
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 17:52
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

The bacon bits have a lot of salt. You might want to try the fat fast to clean your system for two weeks and then give Atkins another try. You also might have yeast. That causes people not to lose weight. The fat fast will help clear that up.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 17:53
Registered Member

BF:

fat fast for 2 weeks???
i thought it's suggested for 4-5 days???
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 17:54

Hi Bobo,

Yep...that looks like all good stuff My suggestion would be to carry on with induction another couple of weeks. I know you want rid of that exces fat quickly, but this is a long slow road, an patience is usually rewarded.

If you are in that truly metabolic resistance category, that Dr A suggests the fat fast for, that will be more clear after another couple of weeks.

I think in two more weeks you might just see some good results.

By the way - do you have a kind of metallic aftertaste in your mouth? If you do, then you are in ketosis...and you will be burning fat, even if you cannot yet detect it on the scales.

lesley
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 17:55

Definietly on 4-5 days for fat fast...it is a real drastic diet
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 18:14
Registered Member

BF:

i don't know if it's metallic. it actually tastes a little sweetish. is that right?

btw, all the carb that i ate last night, are they gonna ruin my low carb diet now??? i feel guilty for all the carb i ate!!! i heard that some people get set back for a week after cheating!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 18:20
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I was thinking of the fat flush. But Atkins fat fast can be used for up to two weeks also. It isn't a very pleasant diet though. You might need some more fat in your diet.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 11:08
Registered Member

BF:

what's the harm for doing fat fast more than 4-5 days???
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 11:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Hi Bobo!

Look up Fat Fast in the index of New Diet Revolution. You will see that it's too early to know if you are a candidate for Fat Fast.

As my colleagues have pointed out, give it some time. There could be a myriad of reasons for slow weight loss. Yo-yo dieting is a big one, so if you've been down that road, you need to show your body that you are being consistent in nourishing it properly so it will be comfortable in releasing fat.

Certain prescription medications can also hinder fat loss.

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 14:39

Stats: 170/155/125
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi,
I was reading through the thread and had a thought. Do you know if you have diabetes or may be insulin intolerent? I find I do not lose as fast as others on a LC WOL due to my blood sugar and PCOS. Also, I find that I will not lose any weight for a week or so and then I'll start my monthly (which doesn't appear monthly) and right after I lose 2-3 pounds (I guess I should update my stats ) Water for me is key since I eat a lot of salty things.
Keep it up and don't worry about the carb's you have eaten, think about the protein and veggies you are eating. Trust me - this is harder than trying to stop smoking. Sometimes you have to just keep on trying. I've known about LC'ing for over a year and I try it and like it then something happens (or doesn't happen) and I stop, I always come back. Now that I have been diagnosed with borderline diabetes I had to really take a look at my attitude about dieting and have come to an understanding - Low carb is my Way of Life now and if I slip I just get back up and keep on LC'ing.
You'll do just fine. Keep coming back and looking through the strings - it helps me
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 16:43
Registered Member

BF:

thanks for the encouragement. i guess i just have to be patient and let my body adjust.
i have been feeling very tired and dizzy. and i have a headache for 2 days. i don't know if it's from all the sweet things i ate on sunday!! is it gonna pass??
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 17:15

Stats: 170/155/125
BF:
Progress: 33%

I've read a lot of posts about headaches. I think just about everyone has had them. I too had a headache for a whole week. Heck, I had one so bad I stayed home from work. How's that for withdrawls - just think of all the carbs I had been eating and then to deny my body (which really, really loves carbs) the food that had been hurting me. Well, to tell you, it is worth it. I also had been dizzy a few times. I found that eating something with a lot of fat in it really helped. I also have to eat atleast 4 times a day. I'm not hungary, but my body needs it so I break down my meals.
If you are getting dizzy before your scheduled meal, you might want to grab a piece of cheese to hold you. It helps me.
If you still have problems with the headaches and dizziness, I would check with your doctor. There is always a chance of some underlying medical problem.
Keep it up and remember all good things take time.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 18:42

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I'm not an atkins person, but I thought I would give a bit of info that is in TSP 2, that you can actually gain weight if your body has a very badly damaged metabolism before it will correct. That maybe something you are going through here. The atkins group will give you great support, but the other thought may help you through this. Don't give up, just remember what has not worked in the past and that is High Carbs.
Tanya