Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 09:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Unhappy help, please

I am in great distress. I went on vacation from Wednesday to yesterday, and have had EXPLOSIVE diarrhea the whole time since Wed! Immodium is helping, but I have had to really restrict my foods to things which won't irritate my system further, like cheese, crackers, English muffins. Any suggestions of how to be more compliant to Atkins until I recover???

Thanks, Guys-
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 10:15

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Fiber

Everyones stomach is different, it is easier to digest processed foods but many cultures get through GI disorders without access to processed foods so there muct be another way!
Crackers and english muffins mean no Atkins way of living for a while. So maybe when you get over this you can go back?

I would think you would want something fiber rich ?
Maybe get some husks and mix them with an easy to digest Atkins shake??
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 10:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I thought those foods made you MORE loose. ???

Anyway; sounds like food poisening or something. I would do the lowest carb bread type thing available, and maybe some protein shakes. Personally, I love a protein shake with unsweetened soy-milk, and some splenda, vanilla and other goodies.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 11:00
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I always heard that cheese was good for this type of thing. I would think that something fiber rich would be the last thing you want. Wouldn't that not be like adding fuel to the fire?

Growing up, my mother use to have us drink slightly deluted jello. Could always do this with SF jello I guess. But you would really want binding foods.

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about any weight gain, sounds like it is all running through you anyways. Just do what your body needs right now!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 11:11

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Fiber

Actually, fiber works for either constipation or diarrhea. It absorbs excess liquid and keeps things moving along regularly. I used to have major diarrhea problems and my doc recommended increased fiber. If you've got a stomach bug or food poisening, though, that's a whole different issue. I'd go to a clear liquid diet until it's all out of your system (broth & water). Then start fresh with your regular low carb foods. If you really need the crackers, try to find whole grain ones at least. You can always get back on track once you're well.

I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Tricia
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 11:36

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Unhappy

Thanks, guys-I am using cheese and s/f jello. If I can just manage to get 24 hours of NOT running to the bathroom , then I can go back to Atkins, no problem.