Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 10:25

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%
Thumbs down Running and lower back problems

Looking for some advise...I have been having problems with my lower back for a couple weeks. Every time I run and stretch for at least 10 minutes afterward (3.5 miles at 5.4 mph on a treadmill) I have problems sitting for long periods of time, especially in my car. It feels like a pulled/stretched muscle and is VERY annoying. I commute over an hour each way, and after about 30 minutes, it gets very uncomfortable. I try twisting my back and that helps the discomfort, but I can't drive turned sideways. Then, when I go to get out of the car I can feel the strain as I start walking. I have no problems with my back when running or stretching. I have problems AFTER the run. If I do not run, I might still have a twinge, but thats it...Ibuprofin works wonders and if I remember to take it before heading home, I am OK...
Any thoughts before I call my doctor? Could I be over doing my workouts?Honestly, I was not having any problems with my back before getting up to 3.5 miles (just my hip & that eased quickly).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:51

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Beth,
Sorry to hear about your back. You may want to lay off the jogging until it feels 100% better and go see your doctor. How are your shoes? Do you wear running shoes? Are the newer and have you been fitted properly at a running shoe store?
You may also want to consider running in the pool. Using a waist belt or a noodle you can actually run in the deep end of pool without putting any strain on your back.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:04

Hi m -
No, I have never been fitted for running shoes. Sounds like that might be a good place to start. I am going to call a couple chiropractors today as my normal doc had little to offer. I've strained things in my back before and they went away after a week or so. This hasn't gotten any better yet, and is actually getting worse Looks like I'll be scaling back to some walking for a little bit...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hey, I know it's frustrating to deal with, but these suggestions might help:

First and foremost, this book by the man who cured my bad knee, Jack Nicklaus's bad back, my friend's sciatica, and oh so many more:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books

Incredible!

Next, try the Static Back Press. Get down on the floor (trust me, it will be worth it) and arrange yourself so you are lying flat on the floor except your legs are supported by an ottoman, couch seat, chair seat, etc. You should look like you are sitting upright in a straight chair that has been tipped over onto its back.

Then relax. (This is my favorite exercise.)
I don't know anyone this hasn't helped.

Lastly, running might just be too much of a strain at first, walking will be easier on all your joints.

Good Luck!

Last edited by adkpam : Wed, Oct-15-03 at 13:16.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 16:31
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

It sounds like you need to strengthen your abs, and entire core. When it isn't strong enough to hold you properly your lower back will burt. The reason I think this might be the case is because a) I used to have severe back pain when i first started working out and running and I did not work very much on abs or posture 2) I will get lower back probs similar to what you describe even now if I neglect my posture and "core" strengthening.

On top of whatever you do to strengthen it, throughout the day, and while running imagine lifting yourself out of your pelvis and hip sockets. Never run and allow yourself to "sag" into your body. If you can exchange your chairs that you normally sit in ie: computer, table etc. for an exercise ball that will also help out things in general. "core" strength and stability cannot be over emphasized.

Here is a good link: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/meriam/ Pilates and T-tapp are very good too.

good luck with the pain!

Meg
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 19:58

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default I feel/felt your pain

Your problem is so familiar for me. This January I started a running program: training for a half-Marathon. My lower back killed me during the first month both meanwhile running or sitting. Then I started a core strengthening program: Pilates, exercise ball, back maintenance 5x / week. My "bible" was a wonderful book: The Healthy Back Exercise Book by Mr. and Mrs. Fielding.
In a month my backpain disappeared, and did not come back even when my long run reached the two hours.

As a start good running shoes are the basic. Try to find smaller, more personal stores, where usually there are some more experienced helpers.
The owner of the small store where I bought my shoes spent 40 minutes to watch me to run in dozen different shoes before giving me the perfect ones.

Good luck for your running - for me it was the real miracle, that helped to fight back my slowing metabolism.

Hope to see you next fall on the Marine Marathon in DC.:-)))

Last edited by Galadriell : Wed, Oct-15-03 at 20:01.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 12:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

I agree that you need strong abs to help support your back. All that we have stucturally to hold up our torso is the spine, and it can't do it without help from strong muscles. If you don't develop your stomach, then it's up to your back. This is where the strain comes in. There are many good and gentle things you can do with one of those big excersize balls.
A physical therapist helped me with this after a car accident, and I never had to see a chiropractor.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 19:53

Well, I started seeing a chiropractor the day I posted this - I could not take the pain anymore. He has been working 'straightening' me out. It has helped, a LOT. What I think has helped more is the fact I am concentrating on my abs after my cardio. 50 -100 situps & crunches. Even though my tummy feels like heck, my back pain is down to an occasional twinge.

Gala - I too am hoping to be in the MCM next year. Hopefully I can start serious training by the 1st of the year.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 22:43
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Egoscue rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
Hey, I know it's frustrating to deal with, but these suggestions might help:

First and foremost, this book by the man who cured my bad knee, Jack Nicklaus's bad back, my friend's sciatica, and oh so many more:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books

Incredible!

It sure is! I checked the Egoscue books out of the library after reading your endorsement -- thank you, thank you, thank you! My wife experienced her first drug-free, pain-free fifteen minutes (after 3 months of sciatica, seasoned with Vicodin, Ibuprofen, and other goodies) after doing just one exercise. Great books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
Next, try the Static Back Press. Get down on the floor (trust me, it will be worth it) and arrange yourself so you are lying flat on the floor except your legs are supported by an ottoman, couch seat, chair seat, etc. You should look like you are sitting upright in a straight chair that has been tipped over onto its back.

Then relax. (This is my favorite exercise.)
I don't know anyone this hasn't helped.

Lastly, running might just be too much of a strain at first, walking will be easier on all your joints.

Good Luck!

In the spirit of your first recommendation, I would say RUN, don't walk, to one's nearby library or bookseller, and get a copy of Egoscue's books BEFORE one tries much walking, let alone running.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 20:20

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Whenever I hear back problems I feel compelled to share.
I have a degenerated 5th lumbar, lets call it a sheet of paper left. I had bee active all my life but 3 years ago that lumbar took me down. No more bed, just recliner, couldn't hardly walk and the pain was always there. Not to mention the muscle tightning that came along with the exhaustion of living with pain.
I went to chiropractor and finally to surgeon, who since my legs still had feeling, gave me vioxx. that in turn made me feel terrible and bloated.
I surged the internet and found the best advise I have ever gotten.
Hamstring stretches.......Simple...but I am telling you guys....I did those wiith some ice thereapy and I haven't had a pain since. I do them regurlarly and am in the progress of rebuilding my body.
The excercise is such that u lay on the floor, legs in the air and wrap a towel under the bottom of your feet to slowly pull the legs toward your chest.....really easy and not in a rocking motion. I did that for about a week and could by then use my hands on ankles reaching the same effect.
It is sooooo simple yet so effective. In fact its said that tight abs alone can work against back pain. You have to do both back isometric and ab excercises to build strength.
Stretch those legs and quads and you will be surprised how it helps.
Bu
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: Bodyopus - Varied
Stats: 215/210/190 Male 5'11"
BF:~8%
Progress: 20%

bubu and Meg_S hit it right on. It's a combination of strengthing your core, along with stretching the lower back and hamstrings. The flexibility in the hamstrings is crucial. I would put more focus into that until it heals then add the stretching to your daily list of gym activities. Your "core" is both your lower back and your abs and they need to be strengthed simultaneously. If there is an imbalance, you'll have the problems you are describing.

HTH

Great info everyone!

Sporto