Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 04:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 203/189/175
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 50%
Default Flu and cold

Guys,

I usually get a cold or flu once a year. But in the last 2 months alone, this is the third time that I have it.

The only thing that is different is that I'm on a low-carb diet now. Have any of you guys experienced this?

I take Vit C and multivits everyday.

This current cold/flu is horrid. My sinuses are blocked and are very painful, and I've cheekily nicked some old antiboitics because I can't keep taking 1/2 days off to go to the doctor.

Any remedies?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 05:32

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs down Feeling Under the Weather

Hi Sapper

I think that what you are experiencing is just bad luck. I also take 1 g of Vit C a day, and have done for several years, and have had no more than the usual share of colds over this past year. I tend to take a 'LemSip' for them and keep track of the 3 carbs per sachet, for completeness.

Once you have had one cold your defences are weaker and so it just may be that there is a lot going around in your area. Germs/viruses are very easily spread.

Beside your diet, have there been any other changes in your life recently? I know that when I started my new job 3 years ago I got quite a few colds not long afterwards and suspect that was to do with the stresses in my new environment.

Sorry to hear that this latest cold has affected your sinuses. It could be that you have got a secondary infection that follows on from the initial cold. If you are creating mucus that is not clear, particularly if it is yellow, you should go to the doctor for a full course of antibiotics as this is the only way to clear this. Otherwise keep taking the ibuprofen or paracetamol.

Hope you are better soon.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 10:45

Plan: May 03 CAD
Stats: 233/231/150
BF:
Progress: 2%
Smile

Hi sapper

I can relate to you at the moment cos i'm the same. I've been taking beechams powder capsules, but not got a clue how many carbs they are. Anyone any idea?

Hope you get better soon
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 02:07

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation B*****y Colds

No sooner has Sapper asked the question about colds than I go down with one. Its not to bad, but don't feel fighting fit and my usual self. Have been taking Lemsip's over the weekend which have 3g carbs per sachet. Suspect the change in the weather has a lot to do with this.

Julie - Look at the box of Beecham's capsules and see what the ingredients are? Is glucose mentioned at all? If so, they may say on the box how much that represents per capsule. It will be less than 1.5 g per capsule. If they do not contain glucose, which I suspect, then you have no carb worries.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 06:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/175/168
BF:
Progress: 90%

Try taking selennium, garlic, zinc and eccinachea - I've got quite good results from these