Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 05:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/229.5/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Haven't a clue
Progress: 27%
Angry Official Weigh In Day for Week 3

Well, it's official weigh in day today, and I have gained yet another pound. I hate this. This sucks. How in the heck do I gain weight while doing strict Induction? Yes, I cheated Friday. I've been perfect ever since, and still, I'm packing on the pounds. 4 pounds in 5 days. What a miracle.

I hate this. I'm ready to give up again and start over in a week or two.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 06:01

Plan: Carnivoire
Stats: 373.6/373.6/150.0 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Are you getting in all your water? it takes water to move water as dumb as that sounds. The more water you give yourself the more water your body will let go of.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 06:04

Stats: 259/229.5/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Haven't a clue
Progress: 27%

Hi Meggen,

More water than I can believe. I have at least 5 16oz glasses every day, not to mention what I don't measure. I drink all the time. I know more water means less retention, but I literally cannot squeeze in another drop.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 08:19

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitGirl
Well, it's official weigh in day today, and I have gained yet another pound. I hate this. This sucks. How in the heck do I gain weight while doing strict Induction? Yes, I cheated Friday. I've been perfect ever since, and still, I'm packing on the pounds. 4 pounds in 5 days. What a miracle.

I hate this. I'm ready to give up again and start over in a week or two.

Hi - one thing I have learned is that this diet creates greater fluctuation as a result of what I eat than anything I have ever done. Personally, I weigh daily which has allowed me to see what happens when I eat certain foods. Recently I discovered low carb yogurt caused me to show a gain - even though I know it was not a true gain - but a water gain - still, it took almost a week for the 3 pound gain to disappear and during that time I went up and down daily even though nothing else had changed.

Bottom-line is that you need to try and learn from what has been going on, adapt your diet and be patient.

Good luck
pecanpie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 09:15
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

Well, you have lost 13.5 lbs in less that 3 weeks that is great. I had a slow time during weeks 3 & 4 and then it picked up again.

You fitday looked good, sodium may be high in the meats. Try to keep the fat above 70% does help: it's kind of like the water, in that fat pushes out fat.

Don't give up. Have you checked you measurements? How are your clothes fitting? The scale is only one guide and a poor one at that
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 09:53

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

A 13.5 pound loss in 3 weeks isn't bad-- it's great! I only lose 2 pounds a week, including my first two weeks.

It's normal to stall or even gain a little after your first two weeks, as your body catches up with what you've been doing.

The cheat also contributed-- pizza and ice cream and syrup? That probably knocked you clean out of ketosis and caused some water retension as well. But that's ok-- just stick to the course, now, remembering what the cheat did to you the next time you're tempted.

Is it close to your ToM? That can also make it look like you're not losing, but you might get a small whoosh when it's over.

If I were you, I'd cut out the regular salad dressings. They have unneccessary sugar-- carb options ranch is tasty, and only has a smidgen of artificial sweetener.

Good luck!!! And don't worry about it-- in fact, don't even weigh in for two weeks. Stick to the program, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 10:19

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

knitgirl...

I know it is hard when things arent going the way you wish they would. Overall, if you have lost 13 lbs, that is awesome . I am at 12 lbs and have been LCing for a little over 2 months.

I am totally not an expert, but I looked at your menu and will point out a couple of things.

1- Your carbs seem low! I think that is not a huge deal, but just something I noticed. The numbers I was seeing does not include fiber, so they are probably even lower if you look at 'net carbs'.

2- You are not eating many veggies. Somedays you hit your 3 cup target, but not often.

3- Coming from a person who has cheated, it takes a little while to bounce back from that. I am happy to just maintain the WI after a cheat, but would not find it odd at all to gain. 1/2 a pizza is a lot of carbs...add in the ice cream and syrup and...wow. It happens...dont beat yourself up over it, just dont expect to lose when that is a part of the weekly equation. I think someone mentioned Ketosis, and I think they are right...It will probably have taken a few good strict induction days to get back to fat burning...then you have to make up for the cheat.

4-Perhaps you are getting hidden sugar carbs in the salad dressings or the wing dressing. I dont know what you are making at home and what is restaurant food, but I see somethings like the wings over and over and I guess if they are breaded, or have sugar in the sauce, it could really take its toll if eaten regularly.

You have done a great job! A 13lb loss is a real acheivement! Remember though that this is a WOE...not a diet. Yes...alot (maybe even most) of us are here or at least started this to lose weight. However we know this is the way we will eat from now on. You have to be in it for more than the lbs because there are going to be weeks when nothing happens. I like the way I feel. I will do this long term...even when I am at goal. If you hate the WOE, maybe it is not for you? I find it easy and while I get frustrated when I dont lose, and that happened to me for 5 weeks, I still eat LC because I like LCing. You have to get in the right place mentally! You can do this Knitgirl! We are here to help you! Eat your veggies, drink your water and forge ahead!!