Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 12:41
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188.5/168.4/165 Male 67
BF:Kiss Me - Im LC'ng
Progress: 86%
Default Is 40g Carbs Really 40g Carb

Am at the 40g/day mark and still losing weight. My question - does it matter what comprises the 40 g? Example....one day I have cheese, eggs, meat, fish etc....total 40g. Next day....cheese, meat, tortilla chips, salad, and tea....still adds up to 40g - is there any difference internally and weight lose wise?

Thx. j
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 12:57

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

i don,t know if theres any difference weightloss wise,after all 40 grams is 40 grams.i would just try to have 40 grams of healthy foods that are lower on the gi index.you get more for your money-so to speak this way.it also helps you learn to do it for life.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 13:24

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Actually, I don't think that a "carb is a carb is a carb". Things like sugars and starches can cause insulin spikes. I know there are people on here that can answer more scientifically than I can, but I'm pretty sure that unstable insulin levels can hinder weight loss. A good example would be having things like peanut butter. "Regular" peanut butter only has 4 net carbs (on average), which isn't a problem with the carb counting, but should be avoided because it contains sugar which causes insulin spikes.

Of course, if you're talking about having the occasional tortilla chips when a person is as far along as you are (I'm assuming you're in pre-maintainance?), then I don't think that would hurt much.

I wouldn't take my word as gospel, though. There are many more people more qualified to answer than me. LOL. As far as my understanding goes, however, this is what I know to be true.

Congrats on your success! You've done great!

~Angi~
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 13:30

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I agree with the posts above.

it does matter, according to atkins bec diff things affect the body in diff ways... the whole glycemic index topic. there's a carb ladder for the order to add carbs back in, both for regular foods and fruit.
and LOL.. I don't think that tortilla chips are ANYwhere on the ladder.. or I woulda added them back in LONG!! ago!!
on the other hand you're very close to your goal, and have to think about how to make this a workable WOL (if that's what you want) and if so, then you have to be able to incorporate things you love. so maybe it's ok in your case. in mine, I know it's not bec i have a long way to go before I reach that pre-maintence/maintenance phase.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 14:55
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

As long as you are getting enough protein and vegies, I don't think it matters. Just be sure to eat protein along with the high carb foods to reduce the insulin spike.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 15:48

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

Cool Beans, you are doing great! I would just keep on doing that magic that you've been doing.
Congrats
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 16:38

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

As long as "bad" carbs, such as high GI foods, don't comprise the majority of your carbs the majority of the time, you probably shouldn't experience too many problems unless you're sensitive. As a man who's almost at goal, I bet you'll be fine.