Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 11:50

Plan: LOWER CARBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stats: 150/131/138 Female 5ft4inches
BF:
Progress: 158%
Default supplement ? please

good evenin, i want to try again on low carbin, YES im worried after ALL tyhe bad press, but ive been on the boards long enough to see sound results from soo many!! i had palpatations last time, i did only stick to the plan for 4/5 days BUT that was very scarey!! i had an ECG last yr n all seemed fine.. i WANT to do this right.. can anybody advice me on the recommended supplements to take,(i am short of money) i tried to get cal/mag tabs last time to no avail!! if anyone can help and tell me where i can get them i would b very gateful!! many thanx in advance kind regards to all sarah x
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 15:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Another vitamin question, I've been taking a regular multi vit plus minerals (79p from the cheapo supermarket!), I decided I could do with a Cod Liver Oil supplement too and in the usual mad supermarket rush threw one in the trolley, when I got home I see that the Cod Liver Oil capsule also has 100% of the RDA of vitamins A and D - does anyone know if it's safe to take these two together, I know that pro-vitamin A is safe to take in large doses (I'm very fair skinned and it helps prevent sunburn), you just wee out the excess but I'm not sure about A&D.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 15:37

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

vit A is a fat soluble vitamin,i think its the b and c vits thats water soluable.
for me, i prefer to stick to the recomended RDA with a good multi vit/mineral suppliment and leave it at that.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 15:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I guess I'm just being tight-fisted and don't want to throw the cod liver oil away lol
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 15:51

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

in dr. A's vita nutrient book, he says short term high doses is fine,i,m just a bit cautious taking anything really.i have to be nearly dying before i take a paracetomol tablet!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 01:12

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Sarah

You can get Calcium and Magnesium tablets from Holland and Barrett. If you do not have one near you then they do sell them on thier web site.

I must admit I take a multivitamin and mineral, and when I go away it is that that I always take with me, so have that as my staple.

Good on you for trying again. You might want to take your carbs down gradually say 100g for the first week and then 60 g for the second week which I think is where you will stay on Schwarzbein. If you went down to 20 or below then this may have caused your problems. Each of us handle low carbing in different ways and for some the induction levels of Atkins are not possible.

Kelly - From a practical point of view I would not worry to much about the cod liver oil capsules also containing vits A & D. Whilst you may now be getting more than the daily recommended amount you will not be taking a huge excess and therefore you should not experience any problems. Don't forget you should also be getting some of these vitamins from the foods you eat as well and so we never worry about these taking us over the top!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 02:21

Plan: LOWER CARBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stats: 150/131/138 Female 5ft4inches
BF:
Progress: 158%

thanku to u all!! i am off to buy my vits today.. yes i really felt well on sp11 just gotta stick to it!! enjoy ur day lv n best wishes sa xx