Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 13:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%
Question Easter Ham Glaze Confusion!!!!

Every Easter I would concoct a glaze for what I've dubbed my "diabetic coma ham." I used things such as, honey, maple syrup, pineapple, Dijon mustard, orange juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves and a few other spices such as paprika and I can't remember what else. I OBVIOUSLY can't do that this year! What are you all glazing your ham with to make it LC?

This is what I was thinking but I'm not sure if I should ditch it and try to go with "mock sweet" using Splenda or SF syrup or something--

A good amount of Dijon mustard mixed with a little olive oil, a lot of heavy cream, a little soy sauce, ground ginger and black pepper. I've had this on chicken and it's super GOOD. It's definitely something I'm going to try on my turkey for Thanksgiving-- but on HAM? I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Maybe instead I could do something with SF maple syrup, melted butter, cinnamon, a little Dijon for that "bite" and . . . uh . . . this is where my mind draws a blank! I don't know how well SF syrup will cook and don't want this tasting like artificial sweetener to my guests.

Do you all think the not sweet Dijon, soy sauce, etc. concoction would taste okay? Maybe if I did a creamy, curry asparagus on the side it would help with my whole "this ham dinner is not sweet" motif? Ughh, I'm so confused!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 18:45
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

They have Lc honey, but it is pure malitol syrup.

Most hams already are cured with sugars. Why not change the tradition this year? Work on a lamb cut, or maybe do turkey again? You could also get a nice cut of beef and have a roast. I made a dish that was beef cooked in the crock pot with SF maple syrup and it turned out really good. That way you can still have the maple taste, but get away from the hams.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 18:57

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I'm going to stud mine with cloves as usual, then mix up a splenda sweetened sf maple syrup with dijon mustard.

I'll be interested to hear some other answers too because I was at a loss for this myself.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 08:39

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Ham would not have been my first choice but were in the process of buying a house and all of our $$ is tied up in paying for that (earnest $, inspection fee, insurance--aggghh!). We got a free ham so that was dinner out of pure necessity.

I did end up doing the dijon, soy sauce thing. It turned out really good actually! I stayed technically LC "legal" yesterday but unfortunately with a cross between the ham and some carb smart ice-cream and LC cheesecake I'm totally water logged! Up 3 lbs this AM!!! That NEVER happens to me-- yikes! Although the ham was good, I don't think I'll be eating a lot of the leftovers!