Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/205/175
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Carb Counts for Marinades

What's the best way to translate the carb count of ingredients in a marinade into a carb count for the resulting food?

I've been making home-made beef jerky to keep around as a snack. A web search finds about a bazillion recipes for jerky marinade, many of which sound worthy of a try. Some of them have things like honey or brown sugar in the marinade.

A simple-minded way to do this would be to distribute the carbs across the weight of all of the beef I'm marinating -- but that assumes the marinade is fully absorbed, and it isn't.

So how 'bout this: say I start with three cups of liquid marinade containing 30 grams of carbohydrate. I use it to marinate 6 lbs of beef strips. After marinating overnight, I have 1 cup of liquid remaining. Is it fair to say that 1/3 of the carbs are in that remaining cup, and that 2/3 are distributed evenly over the marinated beef strips?

Inquiring minds want to know.

-M.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 17:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210+/188/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 89%

I wouldn't do it personally. You're gonna have sugars in the marinade which is what you want to avoid. They have LC marinades you can make if you just do some searching. I found some on this site and low carb recipe sites. Tastes great and made with LC ingredients so it's safe for you to eat as much as you want. =)