Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 10:03
Registered Member

Plan: Redbook Magazine
Stats: 166/144/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Cholesterol Mystery

Hi from NC,

The people on these forums are awesome! I'm not only learning about low carb diets but some new terms also like "chuffed" and "gob-smacked."

I'm a 55-year-old female (postmenopausal). In April of this year my doctor gave me a choice: meds or diet and exercise. I chose "diet and exercise." He said if my cholesterol wasn't down on my next blood test in July, he would put me on medicine.

Well, two weeks before my doctor's visit I realized I needed to do something quickly. I decided to go on the Atkins' inspired two-week diet in Redbook magazine (a very structured diet) but unlike Atkins, no induction phase and only a two-week diet. I also exercised quite a bit more than when my prior blood test was taken. Below are the before and after comparisons of my blood tests (I'm sure my doctor who is against high protein diets was a bit "chuffed"):

Triglycerides LDL HDL
April 2003 219 153 43
July 2003 149 142 35

My question: Is it possible for the LDLs to go down and the HDLs also. All that I read seems to indicate the HDLS go up when the LDLs go down.

Although I am still trying to lose weight I would like a good maintenance plan after I reach my goal. Does Atkins provide that?

Thanks for your help in solving the HDL mystery and the maintenance.

Thanks for the welcome!

Jeanne48

Last edited by jeanne48 : Sun, Jul-20-03 at 20:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 13:33
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%

Triglycerides LDL HDL
April 2003 219 153 43
July 2003 149 142 35

My question: Is it possible for the LDLs to go down and the HDLs also. All that I read seems to indicate the HDLS go up when the LDLs go down.

** HDL's (high density lipoproteins) are GOOD cholesterol. LDL's (low density lipoproteins) are bad. I do believe that HDL's will go up and LDL's go down when on the right track. **

Although I am still trying to lose weight I would like a good maintenance plan after I reach my goal. Does Atkins provide that?

** Atkins provies the TOTAL package. from induction to maintenance. I strongly suggest reading his latest book "Dr.Atkins New Diet Revolution". Good read for $25.

Good luck!

p.s. good for u on the cholesterol pts!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I don't know where you are located but Wal-Mart has the paperback version of DANDR for under $6.