Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/206/125 Female 5'2"
BF:41
Progress: 13%
Question Suggested workout?

Okay I worked out one day since starting induction 6 days ago. I was honestly planning on exercising everyday, but I work as a waitress and after I get home I'm excessively tired and groggy. Much more than I ever was before dieting.

So, such I fight it and go exercise anyway or wait for the tiredness to go away?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:59
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Cassie, is it possible to fit the exercise in before work? If not, you could try starting with a small goal - like I will walk around a block no matter how tired I am. Then after a few days make it 2 blocks and so on. In no time, your body should have adjusted and you should even feel less tired after work.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 15:44

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I waited until after the first week to start excercising. It takes time for your body to adjust to burning fat instead of carbs. I would personally wait, but make sure that as soon as the "energy surge" kicks in that you start excersising on a regular basis. There's no need to torture yourself while your body is still getting used to things.

But after that we're going to kick you in the bum if you don't excersise. LOL.

~Angi~
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 16:51

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Cass,

I would suggest that you gradually build up your workout, especially if exercise is something new. When I was 170+ lbs I started with just a morning walk around the block before work. It was enough to energize me, and I realized that anything was better than nothing.

As your body adjusts you will be able to exercise more and more, your energy levels will pick up, and your metabolism will increase.

Good luck.

Joan
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:07

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

If I were you I would try to exercise before work. I know for me by the end of the day I think of excuses not to exercise cuz I am so tired an lazy about it. I heard if you exercise in the morning you burn more calories and up that metabolisim quicker. Don't know if that is true or not but maybe that will help you.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You might try looking into yoga tapes for begininers. Giam is a really good company. They have a stress relefe (ok no clue how to spell that ), morning, and evening ones that may work for you. The workouts are 15-30 mins if I remember right. They could help because most of the moves don't require you to put more pressure on your feet, the stretching and breathing can help with sore tired muscles and yoga also improves balance, strength and endurance, all things you need on your job.

Another series that may work for you is produced by beach body. th tapes include titles such as great abs, great stretch, thin thighs and there are also sessions for butt and arms. The workouts only last around 8 minutes and work in sectional progression. If you do them regularly they really are good. The ab one just about kills me still.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 19:14

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/164/140 Female 65 inches
BF:35%/27.4%/?%
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolazchic
I heard if you exercise in the morning you burn more calories and up that metabolisim quicker. Don't know if that is true or not but maybe that will help you.

You burn more body fat because your body is working on the fat that is already stored since it doesn't have much of anything else to feed on.
You burn the same amount of calories no matter what time of day you do something, but you are more likely to workout for longer periods in the morning because of the lack of food weight and the day hasn't taken it's toll on you, yet. This is where the theory of more calories comes from. You are able to work out longer so you end up burning more calories.
Because of this, I do agree with coolazchic. Aim for mornings. It's also a great way to energize you for the day.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 20:02

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I walk two miles a night but, every now and then I feel I am too tried to walk. The next day I am mad at myself all day long for not making a effort to at least walk around the block. Once the energy kicks in you will want to execise.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 04:24

Stats: 210/185/154 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 45%

Not trying to be funny Cass, but I'd say if you work as a waitress and you're tired when you get home, it's because you've done a lot of exercise already. I sit behind a desk all day, and do virtually no exercise, and I'm still losing weight on Atkins. I'm not too worried about lots of exercise because I've reached the conclusion that while it is healthy, it's benefits are overstated.
People are overweight and obese not because of lack of exercise, but because of a diet of processed foods, high in fat, sugar and salt. Just my 2cents of course. I'm not a doctor .
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 07:22

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
I've reached the conclusion that while it is healthy, it's benefits are overstated.
People are overweight and obese not because of lack of exercise, but because of a diet of processed foods, high in fat, sugar and salt. Just my 2cents of course. I'm not a doctor

Losing weight isn't the only benifit of exercise. As a matter of fact, it is probably one of the least important. At my weight I am 10x healthier than many of my skinny friends because I get daily exercise. They have untoned muscles, low lung capacity and hearts that haven't seen a good workout in years.

You might be losing weight without exercise, but it's probably a safe assumption you are losing muscle mass as well. All diets, including Atkins, are known to burn up some muscle mass. Atkins being a higher protein diet isn't as bad about this as others, but it still happens. However, if you add exercise to the equation at the very least you are maintaining your muscle mass and most likely building it some. JMO
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 07:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/125/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hi! Having spent many years as a waitress myself, Id have to say i think your probably already getting a heck of a work out, But if your Still looking to do a little more or maybe work a particular area, You might consider pilates, which IMO is a pretty relaxed workout, that for me personally is doing wonders for my body shape. If you go to LifetimeTV's Website, and look under the Health section, Denise Austin has a section there with a nice 4 week pilates workout you could try. Good Luck to you)