Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 168.5/155.5/140 Female 5ft 4inches
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Induction flu

I am in day three of atkins and feel pretty tired !! nothing else though my OH has the bad heache and tablets wont shift it, he says he feels queezy and sick all of which I have told him are normal. Do you think it is because I have done this before that I do not feel as bad as him ?? how many days do you feel like this just want to give him a bit of reassurance it is worth sticking it out.

Amanda X
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 10:43

Plan: atkins, celiac
Stats: 302/190/130 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 65%

It's completely normal, he'll feel fine tomorrow or the next day...it's like a detox for the body that was addicted to sugars and carbs.
Now it's also cold/flu season in general so don't dismiss that as well.

I promise it's worth it, stick it through and soon ya'll will have more energy then ever!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 10:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Tiffie is quite right. He will feel better in a couple of days. He's detoxing and should drink some extra water to help the process.

Remember to eat all the induction foods you want to be full but not stuffed.

All the best, Julie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 19:29

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

I don't remember having it the very first time I started low carb. But the past few times I re-started, my God I felt like death.

Over the Christmas period I went off track and was eating all the wrong foods (it was planned, not that that makes it any better...). I got back on track this Monday just gone... I was ok until yesterday (Wednesday) and I woke up feeling really poo. I felt extremely sick, so much so that when I had something to eat/drink I would bring it back up. I had a thumping headache and I just felt odd.

Today I had some slight sickness feeling, a slight headache but that's it! So it seems to be wearing off already . This time it only lasted a day... last time it lasted about 4 days.

The only thing I don't like about drinking even more water... is the constant peeing! I feel like I am always on the loo!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 20:04

Stats: 237/200/180 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am on day 4 and I have felt horrible for the last three days. Headache, queazy and super tired. I finally got some extra sleep and that helped a little. i'm eating lots of really good induction foods, I am in ketosis and my appetite has declined but the energy has not gone up. I'm going to drink some more water and go to bed. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

BTW, I'm new here. I everyone.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 22:35

Plan: mix of many
Stats: 164/154.8/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I was listening to the Livin' La Vida Low-Carb podcast today where Jimmy Moore interviews Mary C. Vernon (Weight of the Evidence blog, Atkins Diabetes Revolution) and she said that having chicken bouillon in hot water every few hours helps with induction symptoms. I'm going to try it myself because I'm definitely having some headaches and fatigue!

Let's stick it out, everyone, we know it's worth it!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-09, 03:57
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 168.5/155.5/140 Female 5ft 4inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Well Phils headache has gone and today he feels wrecked and me to woke up feeling like I could not put my clothes on !!! anyway jumped on scales and I am 4.5lb down so it is working woohooo def going to be worth it keep telling myself, I feel a bit like jelly all over, strange !

A X
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 12:35
Registered Member

Stats: 225/185/185 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 100%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleroo
I am on day 4 and I have felt horrible for the last three days. Headache, queazy and super tired. I finally got some extra sleep and that helped a little. i'm eating lots of really good induction foods, I am in ketosis and my appetite has declined but the energy has not gone up. I'm going to drink some more water and go to bed. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

BTW, I'm new here. I everyone.

It gets better....I promise.......and welcome......
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 16:26

Stats: 174/148/125 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 53%

I couldn't have found this thread at a better time (for me)! I'm on day 3 and got hit today. I have to say that the first time I did induction I didn't feel any "flu"like effects -- I had gradually cut carbs for months before because it was what my body wanted (bodies are smart if you listen to them). This time I went "cold turkey" after a month and a half long dugar/bread fest.

I feel like CRUD today -- lightheaded, headache, cranky as heck and just want to go to bed. I am constantly reminding myself how WONDERFUL I will feel in a couple of days... no backsliding for me this time!!

Not that I'm glad other people are going through this -- I'm not -- but I can take a little comfort in not being alone right?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 21:14

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

I am waiting for the induction flu to hit but I am prepared. The other thing that happens to me is I always have one night of insomnia when I go into ketosis. It is the strangest thing. Well worth it for the pay off though!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 21:33

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

I have learned on low carb that if I feel queasy (especially at the beginning) that it means that I need to eat something...something low carb.