Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 12:53

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Weight's gone UP on Induction!!!!!!!

Ok...I'm getting annoyed now. My weight has gone UP on Induction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm now at 129 kg or 283.8 lbs....and I WAS 281.6 lbs a few days ago and this is 2 weeks into it.

I've been faithful to my Induction, following it to the letter....I even joined a gym ....worked out on Friday night for 45 minutes, went shopping for 8 hours yesterday, and then went and did another 45 minutes at the gym this morning.

I don't understand what's going on....I'm so frustrated I could cry! If anyone thinks they can help...please respond or PM me. Thanks!

Nicole
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 13:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/140/130
BF:
Progress: 33%

hi Nicole

That would be frustrating....and I was afraid of something like that happening also.

I'm newer to this way of eating...so I hope you hear from some longterm members also.

I've read that exercise changes can alter weight- b/c of musle building. Also, weight fluctuates alot and perhaps if you hang in a day or two longer or another week...before going off (like you may feel like doing) will show you different results.

Also- are you having your period? or retaining water from salty foods do you think?

I'd hang in if you can....and see, b/c if you are being true...it should work.. It is also very individual....and may take a different time point to get it happening.

what about posting some foods/ day so forum members can double check if anything is stalling you or we can help?

Sorry for your result...but don't blame yourself...you are doing fabulous exercise...and I"d try to give it more time...and use this support on the forum..

good luck to you.

Mona Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 13:43

Plan: atkins( induction)
Stats: 252/124/115 Female 60in
BF:55%/19%/15%
Progress: 93%

Hi nicole;
NIcole you have joined the gym and when you work out you put on muscle. Muscle weights more than fat. You might want to mesure your self to see if you are losing inches instead of pounds which is what I suspect is happening.
If you have truly put on weight go back to your atkins book there are many solutions in there to help. Good luck and keep up the good work Smuffy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 15:04

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Nicole!

It's very normal for weight to fluctuate up and down while you're losing both from day to day and from morning to evening. Your losses won't always be in a steady line downward. It's also quite typical for muscles to retain a bit of water after a workout and between working out both Friday and today and then shopping for 8 hours on the day in between (that's quite a workout in itself!), it's quite likely that you are retaining a bit of water which could easily account for a 2 lb. gain. The best solution to that is rest your muscles in between workouts and drink plenty of water.
If the scale is driving you crazy, try weighing only once a week (pick a day and only weigh on that day), preferably naked first thing in the morning and then charting a montly average or use a graph to show your downward movement. If I were to do mine, it would look like a stock market graph with lots of ups and downs but with a general downward trend.
When I was doing another diet plan they had me weigh every day, but then once a week do an average of the previous 7 days' weights and that's what I recorded once a week. As long as the general trend was down, I was on track.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 05:22

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Don't just weigh--measure too. Sometimes your weight will go up because you are retaining water, but the measuring tape will show you've actually lost 'size'. Sometimes that will happen. For me about every 8-10 pounds I've lost I'll suddenly hold on to water which will make the scale stand still, but the measuring tape will tell me otherwise.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 07:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/236/175
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Give yourself some time.....

Are you still hungry? Lcarb should reduce appetite.....also you might be gaining muscle.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 17:29

Stats: 260/250/190
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hey can you tell us what your eating?I need to know everything that you eat,to give an answer to why no loss. when i go on low carb i usually start pumping iron and gain muscle,but i also lose some weight 1/3 pound a day verses 1 pound a day.Also how much water are you drinking?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 17:44
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Nicole,

Relax...this is not a problem, it's very normal. We've ALL been there! You've been given some good advice, hopefully that will help you stop fretting over it.

As Lisa said: "If I were to do mine, it would look like a stock market graph with lots of ups and downs but with a general downward trend. "

Remember that this is a long-term chart...it is the overall picture that will be consistent, not the moment by moment stuff!!

Next week, you may get a "whoosh" !! Hang in there...

#9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 14:13

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Smile Thank you ALL!

Thank you all so much for your words of wisdom and encouragement!! I'll start posting exactly what I've been eating and hopefully things will even out.

I've decided to only weigh once a week, as I was getting just a tad obsessed...Moi?! Obsessive?! LOL Perish the thought!

I'm still on track, even though I did stumble. Had a hellish day yesterday and keep telling myself that all I have is today and to do my best. Back on the horse and looking into getting some spurs!

Thanks again!

Nicole
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 15:20

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi!

I have issues about not wanting to weigh at all! ha!

But I think once a week is good....

I like what someone has as their motto, "slow and steady..."
it will come off.... just slow and steady! i know we all like results quickly.... but just sticking to the foods and exercise... it will come off.....

Keep up the good work!!!

Take care,
M-
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 15:20

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Default Gideyup

and Yeehaw!!