Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 22:15
Registered Member

Plan: The Atkins Diet
Stats: 140/131/115 Female sixty-five inches
BF:not sure:-\
Progress: 36%
Default Question about weight loss

I have done the atkins diet before last summer and was very successful. I know that everyone loses weight differently and at different paces. See, I am going to prom with my boyfriend in May and I was wondering if it was realistic for me to lose about 20 pounds by then?!?! Thanks for any advice to speed up the weight loss!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 22:28
Registered Member

Plan: Cyclical CHO
Stats: 175/180/220 Male 6'2
BF:12-15
Progress: 11%

If I were you, I would shoot for a max of about 15 pounds for that time frame. Without knowing your bodyfat levels, it would be tough for me to give a better estimate than that. The fatter you are to begin with, the more you can expect to lose per week as a general note. To make that 15 pounds of fat, you would need to really dial it in dietwise.

For the rest of it, just make sure your glycogen stores are fairly low and you aren't retaining much water through other mechanisms and what you seek could very well become reality for prom night.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 22:53

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

shoot for 10 at first--see how it goes, then maybe change your goal. Just don't get caught up in having to be 20 lb lighter for prom.... prom will be fun and you will be beautiful no matter what your weight is
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 23:12

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Exercise can really help, not only with weight loss, but with your body shape too. Don't overdo it, but a moderate exercise program would be a good idea and would help you look better in your prom dress!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 00:05
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

20lbs is 15% of your body weight so it may be tough. Especially since you're probably going to be getting that prom dress earlier than May.

At 5'5" you're going to be pretty thin at 115. Sounds like you've already got a boyfriend, and it's wonderful that you're losing some weight for prom, but don't let the magic number of 20lbs drive you crazy.

Get some exercise, low carb it, and be happy with what you can lose before you get the dress.

Enjoy your prom!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 16:10
Registered Member

Plan: The Atkins Diet
Stats: 140/131/115 Female sixty-five inches
BF:not sure:-\
Progress: 36%

Thanks guys for all of your input. I am already exercising and drinking TONS of water to help w/ the weight loss. I won't really be freaked out if i don't get to my goal by then, I was just seeing if it was possible. I'm not sure when I'm going to get a dress, but I don't want to get it too early b/c I don't want it to be too big..ya know? I'm not sure what i'll look like at 115, i've never been that thin at this height, so i'm just gonna wait and see! Thanks TRUSTYCATfor saying that! Best of luck to you all!!