Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 15:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/186/150
BF:Just "FAT"
Progress: 5%
Default Does this menu work for "Induction"?

Here's a link to my Fitday menu for today. I am over in carbs, as you can see. However, with fiber, I'm not that much over.

Does this menu seem okay for an "Induction" menu, or am I still doing something wrong? (I am going to try to keep my 1 mug of coffee included and my 1 half piece of gum do to my nasty breath, but if you experts say it has to go to make this work, I'll do my best to get rid of it.)

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...ner=a+new+start

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 16:33

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi Disneyfan,

You're a bit high in the carbs. I'd cut out the tomato, red peppers and cheese if I were you (beware of red things...they are usually higher in carbs). The coffeee and sugar free gum are no great deal.

Good luck,
Robert
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 17:23

Stats: 147/141/125
BF:
Progress: 27%
Thumbs up

Keep up the great work! Your diet looks well proportioned and in line with the Atkins recommendations. Words of advice for you: look closely at the labels of the ranch dipping sauce and the dressings you are eating. They may contain sugar in some form such as high fructose corn syrup, sugar, or dextrose (to name a few forms of refined sugar). Also, please note that the "sugar" in most sugar-free gum usually comes from sugar alcohols, which Atkins says is OK as long as you don't notice a slowing of your weight loss efforts. He says it may slow down weight loss in a few individuals. I chew Extra gum. It has sugar alcohol as the sweetener. Malitol (the sugar alcohol in CarboLite candy and Atkins Endulge candy bars as well as some SF gums) is OK! I don't recommend going overboard on the sweet stuff (and don't eat saccharine or aspartame), but chewing gum containing malitol should be fine. Net carbs are between 1 and 2 per serving...so feel free to work it in to your daily diet. Enjoy!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 17:33
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I think it looks great for OWL but for induction you have too many carbs right now.

The majority is in your dressings. There are little modifications you can make that can lower your count. By only using your parmesan dressing and cutting out the dipping dressing you save 1 carb with the same serving sizes. Also salsa isn't allowed during induction but if you are going to have it, I mix it w/ mayo and water for my own modifed thousand island recipe.

Also, I think if you are going to err on the side of higher carbs... at least you have done so with veggies. Good for you - I think fiber is so essential here.

Personally, if this is something you could live with....and you are losing weight. God Bless you and just go to level 2.

If you have issues losing, you know exactly what needs to go.

Just look at your fitday list and like when in a grocery line without enough money... just remove by your choice each product that you can live without for the next day(s).

FYI - Listerene and Eclipse breath strips have no sugar alcohols or carbs.

This is your life and your satisfying yourself is key to your success here!

Last edited by lkonzelman : Mon, Feb-24-03 at 17:35.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 17:37

Stats: 147/141/125
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Forgot to mention something

If the product contains malitol and/or fiber, you may subtract the grams of sugar alcohols and fiber from the total carbohydrate count in the serving. For example, if you eat an Atkins Endulge chocolate bar, it has 16 grams of gross carbohydrates in it.
Fiber = 3 grams and sugar alcohol = 11 grams. You add up the grams of fiber and sugar alcohol together and subtract that from the total carbs in the product (16)...net carb count equals 2 grams! Voila! This formula applies to any kind of food.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 08:20
Registered Member

Stats: 188/186/150
BF:Just "FAT"
Progress: 5%
Default Re: Forgot to mention something

Quote:
Originally posted by KVirrueta
If the product contains malitol and/or fiber, you may subtract the grams of sugar alcohols and fiber from the total carbohydrate count in the serving. For example, if you eat an Atkins Endulge chocolate bar, it has 16 grams of gross carbohydrates in it.
Fiber = 3 grams and sugar alcohol = 11 grams. You add up the grams of fiber and sugar alcohol together and subtract that from the total carbs in the product (16)...net carb count equals 2 grams! Voila! This formula applies to any kind of food.

That is very interesting!

Thanks all, for you input. That is what I needed. So far today, I have cut out my coffee (BOO-HOO!) and dipping sauce for my broccoli... i'll just eat it raw, with salt and pepper.

I do have Listerine strips, so I'll also cut out the gum for now (BOO-HOO again! ).

Thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:16

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

Try sauteeing your broccoli with butter (or olive oil) and garlic and sprinkle some morton lite salt! Or you can whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, and salt & pepper to taste for a change. I like this one on asparagus.