Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 12:15

Plan: atkins, low carb
Stats: 135/113/110 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Question too many low carb products?

I am fairly new at the low carb lifestyle, but have for the past couple of weeks done really good at eating 20g of carbs or a little less a day. However, my daily menu consists of 2-3 cooked eggs over easy in the morning, my lunch and snack at work are always an Atkins shake and Atkins Advantage bar, Slim Fast lc bar, or low carb yorgurt, and my dinner is sometimes a small steak or chicken breast and some veggies, but usually an Atkins shake and some cheese as a snack later. So, my question is, I have been eating alot of processed foods ( Atkins shakes, Atkins bars, Low Carb Yogurt)...is that bad? I actually really like how they taste, and by eating them I stay on a strick 20g of carbs a day eating plan, but really don't know if this is the best plan to help me gain the best results. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 12:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I don't know if I would say it is "bad" but you might want to consider where your carbs are coming from. If we stay under 25 carbs (I have to in order to lose weight) you really use up your carb allowance FAST when you use those products. The problem is, you should be getting most of your carbs from vegetables. The fiber in vegetables helps you lose weight and is very critical to your overall health. Also, the products have a lot of additives and preservatives that aren't good for you. Veggies have lots of micronutrients that you need. The products are also expensive!

As long as you keep your carbs low you will probably continue to lose weight. But you really have to consider whether you are learning new eating habits that will last a lifetime or whether you are "dieting" using the products as your basic meals. As soon as you stop using the products (and they will get boring fast) you will start to regain the weight.

Congratulations on your loss and I hope you will consider eating more whole healthy foods instead of the products .

Orchid
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

No, you shouldn't be using all that stuff! Your body needs the nutrients that come from vegetables and salads, adn you are not learning new lifestyle changes by relying on shakes - real food is much better for you
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 14:46

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

I would say they're O.K. once in a while, but for best results, not on a regular basis. The trouble is they are so darn convenient.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 17:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/185/167 Female 5ft. 6in.
BF:I don't wanta know
Progress: 87%

Hi,

I have a friend who has been on Atkins for about a year. She lost about fifty pounds and then stopped losing. She thought she stopped losing about the time she started eating a lot of the Atkins bars and other low carb products like them. She called the Atkins people and talked to a counselor. They told her that the bars were better left for maintance except for an occasional one. They told her that if she did eat one to count all the carbs and not just the net carbs. She has to stay close to 20 carbs to lose. She is also diabetic. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. My daughter and I have been drinking the Atkins chocolate milk which is great (it onoy has three total and two net carbs in eight ounces), but leaving the other things alone. We are losing steady, and don't want to take a chance. Of course, everyone is different and you might can eat them just fine. I just thought I would pass along the information for you to consider.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 21:12

Plan: atkins, low carb
Stats: 135/113/110 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Smile great advice

thanks a bunch to all who have responded to my question. though I have lost weight eating the bars and shakes regularly, I didn't really realize that I was chosing low carb foods out of convenience, rather than focusing on making a complete lifestyle change.