Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 06:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Question about Keytone Levels

I know this is probably an ultra lame question, and I apolgize upfront. I have been on this WOE since Mid-August and am loving it! I'm very happy with my progress so far and surprised at how easy this WOE really is!

My Endo recently reduced the dosage of one of my medications (Dexamethasone). A day or so after starting the new dosage I noticed that instead of measuring in the "large" area on the ketostix, I am not measuring in between the "low" to "moderate" ranges, although nothing in my WOE has changed (I have added anything new yet or gotten very creative) I'm curious if possibly my med dosage change could have maybe had something to do with it?

Also, it doesn't matter where on the strip I test, right? So long as I am testing positive (regardless of where on the strip) I'm in ketosis and should continue to lose weight, right?

I'm sorry, I know these are lame questions - I just worry that my Endo changing my meds around could potentially stall me out.

Thanks for any insight or thoughts!
~Jaya
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 06:06

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Jaya, what is Dexamethasone?

Did you drink more water?

Did you test yourself at around the same time?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 06:13

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

You will get varying answers on this question. A lot of people don't buy into the ketone levels at all or the sticks. It has been said that water levels (how much you drink), etc. can dilute ketones to the point where they don't register. I've not personally experienced that, but there are nurses here who would know from years of experience.

That being said...when I am being faithful to Atkins and watching calories as well as carbs, I tend to stay in the moderate/high range regardless of how much water I drink or when I test. I am a regular exerciser.

Dr. A's section on the ketone stips kinda indicated to me that the stips can help you figure out what is wrong if you aren't losing inches or weight, but on the flip side if you have gone over everything you are eating and your medications, etc. and if you still don't register at all, you might still be losing.

Since you have been registering, I would not worry so much about at what level. You are still in ketosis

L
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 06:15

BF:

serrelind - Dexamethasone is a Cortisol steriod...I have a condition called Late Onset Adrenal Hyperplasia and my adrenal glands do not produce the Cortisol steriod they are supposed to (which you need to live)....so the Dex adds the Cortisol steriod to my body and prevents my body from producing excess Testosterone (the body knows it's supposed to produce something, so since it can't produce Coritsol, it produces vast amounts of Testosterone).

My water intake is the same 72oz a day ~ I have a certain 24oz sport bottle that I fill 3 times a day and make myself drink all of it (makes for lots of trips to the bathroom. )

Yes, I tested the same time of day...I've been testing in the morning ever since I started testing.

~Jaya

Last edited by Plagiomom : Tue, Sep-02-03 at 06:26.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 06:24
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jaya,

I suspect that as your steroid level has been decreased, you are releasing some of that water you have been holding onto when on the higher doses of the Dex. So to your body, it is the equivalent to drinking more.

I think you'll find that in a day or so, as your body adapts to the lower dose, things will return to the way they were.

And yes, you are right, as long as the stick changes colour at all, you are in ketosis. And just to confuse things further, you can still be in ketosis even if the stix are not changing colour at all.

Have a look at Doreen T's article on Ketosis and Ketone Test Strips in "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen for more info.

Cheers.

Rosebud

PS: These are not lame questions at all! Feel very free to ask whatever questions you like. The only really lame questions are the ones you don't ask.

Last edited by Rosebud : Tue, Sep-02-03 at 06:26. Reason: Adding a PS
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 08:12

BF:

Thanks everyone for the replies!!!! I'm feeling a lot better about the keytone levels now!

Rosebud, what you wrote makes perfect sense, and I suspect you are correct about the water retention!

Thanks again everyone! I had such a fear that the med altering would kick me out of ketosis or play havoc on the progress I have made so far!

~Jaya