Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 18:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/334.5/170
BF:
Progress: 9%
Unhappy water retention

HUGE SIGH....
Ok, I seem to be the exception to a lot of things on this diet. I realize that most of them are because of the meds I'm taking. This one however is because of some of the meds I QUIT taking. I need !!!
I quit taking one diuretic and cut my blood pressure med in half. All of this was approved by my doc. Anyway, now I'm retaining water and have been for almost 2 weeks. I am drinking a gallon of water a day so I can't drink anymore to flush it out... I have tried cutting back on the salt wherever possible. Any ideas???? My liver and kidneys seem to be operating just fine but my ankles and legs are reminding me of tree trunks!
I'm sure I could lose 5 pounds (FINALLY) if I could just get RID OF THIS DANG WATER!!!
Ok, I'm off to dink another glass of water and hope this is the glass that leads the rest of my unwanted water to want to LEAVE!!

THanks!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 18:52

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

JJHend...

Dr. Atkins recommends taking Taurine 1,500 to 3,000 mg. daily and 50 to 100 mg. of Pyridoxal 5 phosphate for fluid retention (DANDR pg. 308). He also states that Asparagus tablets are effective for fluid retention. Perhaps your body is so used to the diuretics that it's having a rebound response from being off them and will even out on it's own, but if not the above works pretty well. I've used that combination when my ankles start to swell and it works well for me. Let us know how you're doing!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 13:20

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jeannette, try upping your water intake. If you sip throughout the day from a one litre bottle I've noticed you don't feel like you're drinking huge amounts, when in deed you are. Sitting down to guzzle a few glasses when you think of it is hard and filling.

If you're still feeling bloated check with your doctor - perhaps there needs to be a further modification to your meds?

Nat