Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 00:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/203/190
BF:?/24%/19%
Progress: 77%
Default salads??

I've been reading a lot about this diet as I start my journey. I understand the importance of eating high protein foods and resisting carbohydrates. What is the policy of the diet in regards to salads? Are they only allowed in certain quantities? Everything I've read seems to be somewhat hazy on this topic. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 05:37

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

In the book I believe it is under the induction chapter it states you are allowed 3 cups of salad and salad fixings and then gives you a list of allowed salad stuffs.

It also goes on to state that you can have 2/3 cup of cooked veggies in place of 1 cup of salad.

So the bottom line is, you can have 3 cups of salad OR 2 cups of salad and 2/3 cup of cooked veggies.

After induction when you start adding more carbs back in you can up those totals.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 09:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

All low-carb plans followed sanely allow you plenty of low-carb, high fiber vegetables. Lettuce and the usual salad vegetables definitely fall into this category.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 11:33

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The only reason that I can think of to not eat large quantities of salad at one time is something that Dr. Bernstein refers to as "The Chinese Restaurant Effect" where eating a large quantity of high fiber food stuffs your tummy and causes an insulin response from the large quantity eaten and then you get hungry again an hour or two after you've eaten. This is also why many low carb books advise you to eat until you are satisfied, but not stuffed. 2 cups of salad and 3/4 cup of low carb veggie aren't likely to do this, but keep it in mind as you progress to OWL and raise your carb intake from more veggies.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 21:30

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

The only reason I can think of too not eat more than 3 cups of salad a day is because alot of people bloat up from it and get gas pains.