Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 08:25

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%
Question Questions-Roasting Turkey Drumsticks

I have some turkey drumsticks that I'd like to put in the oven today. I think years ago I made them once lol
I have looked online for directions on how long to cook them and what to put on them but I've seen so many different oven degrees and cooking times that now I'm just confused. And as far as what to put on them most of the recipes have them barbecued(with sugar) or dredged in flour.
I just would like to have them roasted so they will taste similar to how they do when you do a whole turkey. There are three of them, about 2.3 pounds total weight and I do not have a meat thermometer.

What do I need to put on them please? I was thinking butter, salt, and pepper .. is this right? Anything else? What should the oven be on? How long should I cook them(want them really tender)? Should I baste them? If so, how often please? Do I cover them? Not cover them? Cover them for part of the cooking time? lol
Sad I've gotten to be 35 and don't have this particular culinary skill under my belt lol ..
Any help would be appreciated.

~carla

Last edited by odyssey : Sun, Jul-20-03 at 08:38.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 09:53
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

I've never done turkey drumsticks, but I do roasted chicken leg quarters all the time. I rub mine with about 1 tsp of mayonnaise per piece, just enough to coat the skin, and then add kosher salt, fresh-ground pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, and a little thyme. Another good trick is to make a "beurre composee" by mashing up a stick of softened (not melted) butter with herbs and spices to taste; put it on wax paper, roll into a log, and chill until firm, then use as you would regular butter (dot small pieces of it over the chicken).

I roast the leg quarters at 400 for 1 hour, turning every 20 minutes, but roasting times are pretty individual for ovens and meats. You might try 350 at one hour, and check them at the 40 minute mark . I use an aluminum roasting pan and don't cover them at all. I don't think you should worry about covering anything except breasts, since it's easy to dry them out while waiting for the slower-cooking dark meat to finish.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 11:20
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I like rubbing the drumsticks with olive oil, seasoning them well and roasting a 325 for about an 1.15 to 1.30. For seasonings I use salt, pepper, seasoning salt, garlice powder, paprika and sprinkle of crushed parsley.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Sun, Jul-20-03 at 11:22.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 13:14

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

Thanks, you two. I ended up putting them on tin foil, pouring melted butter over them and salt, then wrapping them tightly in the foil and cooking for an hour on 350. After that I lowered the temperature to 325, unwrapped the foil, turned them over, basted and put them back in unwrapped for about 10 minutes on each side to brown them. The one I've eaten is very tender and very good.

~c