Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 07:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 177/167/160
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default low in carbs but high in fiber?

i'm new to the lo-carb life-style
but
i'd like to increase fiber....
so my question is....
what has low carbs and high fiber?
thx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 23:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hullo, and welcome!

You can choose vegies that are high in fibre. You'll find the fibre counts (which have not been subtracted from the total carbs) in www.fitday.com

Or you could add a fibre supplement such as psyllium or flax seeds. Psyllium is virtually all fibre, leaving a negligible carb count.

It's also worth noting that we don't need as much fibre on a low carb eating plan. 10 to 15g are probably sufficient.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 14:58

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Rosebud - I am curious as to why low carbers don't need as much fiber. In PPLP (or it could've been PP), they recommended a minimum of 25 gms/day. TIA
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 21:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow01
Rosebud - I am curious as to why low carbers don't need as much fiber. In PPLP (or it could've been PP), they recommended a minimum of 25 gms/day. TIA

In PP (1995), page 389 - 391 "The Truth About Fiber", the Eades discuss fiber and what it can and cannot do for health. They do recommend aiming for 25g fiber per day, in defense of accusations by nutrition experts that carb-restricted diets are low in fiber.

It's worth noting that those nutrition "experts" who tell us we must have 25 - 35g fiber per day are the same folks who tell us we must have 6 - 12 servings of bread and cereal every day You might find Barry Groves' (author of Eat Fat, Get Thin) essay, The Bran Wagon to be illuminating.

Fiber intake greater than 30g per day can interfere with absorption of important nutrients, in particular calcium, iron and magnesium.

IMO, when you're eating all kinds of refined starch carbs such as white bread, rice krispies, white rice, twinkies, cake etc etc etc ... you need 25g or more fiber to keep all that gluey sludge moving along. A hundred years ago, white bread was a folk remedy for diarrhea because of its well-known ability to plug you up.

Meats and fats leave little residue when properly digested. Vegetables, nuts, seeds and low-carb fruits provide plenty of fiber, although it's true your intake will be limited while eating very low carbs, such as Atkins Induction. A fiber supplement might be helpful, such as psyllium husks. Ground flax seeds are excellent too. Make sure you're drinking lots of water; dehydration can lead to constipatioin no matter how much fiber you eat.

If you're eating a carb-controlled diet of natural, minimally processed proteins and fats, along with plenty of leafy greens and other vegetables, then a fiber intake around 15g per day is quite adequate.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 15:06

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Thank you, Doreen, for clearing that up for me . I thought I was doing a good thing by getting as much fiber as I could every day, including using unprocessed wheat bran sprinkled (not in big quantities, mind you) on salads and in dishes to up the fiber . The only bad thing is I grew to like it . Oh well, live and learn - and thanks for the info! This may make meal planning much simpler if I'm not obsessing over getting 25 grams of fiber in a day .
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 15:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

thanks for the info. i started induction on may 6 and the most fiber I've had according to fitday is 5/day. I'd better be more alert about that.