Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 09:13

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 240/237/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Getting Started

Please bear with me. I've never posted before...
I was on Atkins 2 years ago and lost 35 lbs. in 4 1/2 months. I always seem to stop before I get to my goal weight in whatever diet I've tried over the years, and of course, as I always have in the past I gained everything back plus a few extra.
I've gotten back on Atkins several times since then and would lose about 5 lbs. and stop. I got frustrated and stopped trying.
I found this forum and read up and decided I wanted to try PP as I can eat more veggies and some fruits which I really missed on Atkins.
I have both PP books at home but have not been able to find the time to read through them.
I really want to get started on this diet. My question is:
Is there an easy way to go thru the books and get the basic information and tools I need to get going on the diet without waiting until I have time to sit down and read the entire books? At that rate, I may never get started.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 20:16
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 135/135/120 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

nikkiend,

From the posts I have read, everyone recommends reading the books first. I am the first to admit that I didn't thoroughly read the books. Therefore, I am by no means an expert on the PP diet (or any other diet for that matter).

I am not saying to not read the books...I think you should. But until you do, just try getting over the small obstacles first. For example, if you like McDonald's, don't get the french fries, and don't eat the bun on your Big Mac. Stop drinking regular colas, and reduce, or eliminate the sugar and carbs you eat. I basically stopped carbs and sugar "cold turkey" and I got the most awful withdrawal headaches. It felt like the same headaches you get if you are withdrawling from caffeine.

Anyway, I guess my point is, until you read the book, try small and work your way up to the real PP diet. But, don't give up! It works!

I wish you luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 20:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

Both Protein Power and Protein Power Lifeplan have a similar format. At the end of every single chapter is a summary, titled "The Bottom Line". You'd be doing yourself a big favour to at least read those summaries. Use a highlighting marker to emphasize important points, which you may wish to go back through the chapter at a later time to read more in depth.

In the first book, you will also want to read chapter 5, "Putting It All Together". Of course, you'll need to figure out your lean body mass in order to calculate how much protein you need The charts are in the book. The sample menus are helpful too. And the food lists.

In the second book, in addition to the chapter summaries, you'll want to read chapters 13, 14 and 15. There you'll find the nitty gritty of the PPLP program.

Note that PPLP is slightly higher in carbs .. 40g per day, as opposed to 30g per day in the first book. Note also that it's 30g after you've subtracted fiber content, and is called Effective Carb Count (ECC), which means you get to have more carbs as long as you choose high fiber. This is thoroughly explained in both books, in the chapters I mentioned

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 10:14

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 240/237/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Thanks so much for your help. That will definitely be enough to get me started until I can find the time to sit down and actually read through both books.