Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 21:49
Registered Member

Plan: Curves for Women
Stats: 208/189/130 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%
Unhappy Losing Motivation!!

I've been on induction since December 1st..and did well on it until last friday.. I ate some cookies.. I feel bad about it of course but now I'm thinking that this diet won't work for me. To keep up with the food you have to eat is tough. I can't afford to go out and buy steaks and meat! I do buy hamburger in bulk and freeze it.. and eggs..yes.. but Im SOO SICK OF IT... I have my omelet in the morning.. hamburger pattie for lunch.(with a small salad).and then maybe scrambled eggs for dinner.. I seriously can't keep up with this.. I don't know how you all do it?? Im sure I must be looking at this in just a negative light.but I guess. I need some words of wisdom to either stick with it or find another plan where I can afford the food.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 22:05
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Aside from the hamburger and eggs, I buy a lot of frozen caulifower and broccoli. Both are very versatile. I also buy a lot of chicken, especially drumsticks, which are often on sale for less than a dollar a pound.

I'd have to say this is the only way I've been able to lose any amount of weight without feeling deprived and hungry all the time. It's a challenge to vary the menu and not get bored, but it gets easier with time and practice.

I'd also like to suggest the newest Dr Phil book "The Ultimate Weight Solution". It's been a Godsend as far as motivation and sticking to my plan.

Best of luck to you.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 22:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

i hope you can hang in there and find a way to make this work for you. i like tuna to help break up the routine, and i like baked chicken.....it is a challenge to keep it interesting, but check out the recipe boards here! there is a deep dish pizza quiche recipe that is wonderful!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 07:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Considering the prices of beef lately (although I did find chuck roasts yesterday for $1.99 a pound ), we've been eating a lot of chicken and pork roast lately; both are often on sale for 99 cents a pound or less here. We also eat a pretty good variety of veggies like broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, turnips, asparagus, spinach, romaine salads (with cucumbers, red cabbage, radish, cucumbers, tomatoes and a little red onion).
Check out the recipes forum for some ideas on how to fix the same old meats different ways. Get creative! There are also some very creative uses for eggs there as well and combining meats with veggies (as in stir fry) is a great way to keep things interesting.
I don't think I would have been able to stick with this for nearly 3 years eating nothing but salads, eggs and hamburger patties; try to get some variety in your meals.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 08:00
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

I started being creative right from the start. I haven't really eaten the same thing twice since I started this WOE and I started the same day as you. Look in my journal for a scrumptous quiche recipe. I keep these in the fridge and eat 2 or 3 for breakfast. My biggest problem is I'm just not hungry and went the last 3 days on a binge of not eating only about 500-600 calories (work, not hungry whatever)

This morning I still am bouncing around the same 2 pounds I have been for the last 5 or 6 days. I increased my calorie intake to what I was eating at the start of induction. I already had 900 cals for breakfast (3 quiches and 2 drumsticks) I need to jumpstart something here!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 10:05

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I know prices are different here, but I also eat a lot of chicken. Turkey drumsticks are a good buy. Nuke 'em for 15 mins and the dark meat you can carve off them is delicious. I also buy cheap ground beef and make it into burgers with chopped onion and and egg to hold it together. Canned corned beef is another cheap option. You can dip it in egg and fry it or eat it as it is.

You don't have to go without cookies. Get some ground almond and/or soy flour and look at the recipe section. You can even make low carb chocolate chip cookies!

I've been eating low carb for 2 and a half years now and I feel so healthy to say nothing of the weight loss.

Hang on and persevere. You won't regret it!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: Curves for Women
Stats: 208/189/130 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm really going to try.. I don't like to cook so this is doubling the challenge for me. Im sooo tempted to go into my starving method again, but I know how bad it is for my body. I went to a Christmas party last night.and its the first time I had to dress up since I got pregnant last January.. what a motivation!! Geez.. this weight HAS to come off!!! You guys are great..
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 00:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hi there! I can understand losing motivation. I almost lost it myself during the past few weeks since Thanksgiving. Only problem for me was I was so stinkin' busy I didn't keep track of my FitDay and my bathroom scales were so frustrating I didn't bother weighing. Much to my humiliation, when I did weigh in a few days ago I was up by about three pounds! That was enough for motivation for me! Thank goodness by this morning I was back down two pounds. I know some will say this was probably water weight, but I'm not so sure it was. The timing just wasn't quite right.

I'm thinkin' you could probably call me and my family the frugal gourmets of low-carb cooking. It isn't so much everyone loves to cook, but everyone here loves to eat (and one daughter absolutely adores cooking!), so if we want to eat we have to cook, LOL.

It may be a little late now, but if you can find any turkeys cheap, buy a couple and put in the freezer. We picked up at least a half-dozen before Thanksgiving for around 60-cents a pound. When we have a low motivation day for cooking, we put one in the oven. We also buy a lot of chicken hindquarters at 37-cents a pound, and plenty of ground beef, and fill in with pork and cheaper cuts of beef. One thing I like to keep on hand for a couple of times a week breakfasts or mid-day meals is turkey ham. Jennie-O runs about $1.28 a pound and sometimes cheaper. It's quick and easy to cook some for breakfast.

When you look at how much money you're spending on meat now, think about how much you're not spending on bread, cereals, etc. We no longer spend $20 a month on bread. No more $20 a month going out on cereal, either. Right there is $40 that can be spent on LC friendly foods. We also buy no more pre-prepared foods like chicken nuggets or frozen fish patties. Granted, they're not that expensive, but that money is now spent on LC friendly foods instead. Oh, and my pop habit--almost forgot that! I was spending around $30 a month on pop, and now I may buy 2 bottles a week, if that. And buy half-and-half instead of cream to keep costs down. Sure, the cream is better fat-wise, but it also costs a LOT more.

It takes a little twisting and fenagling, but eventually you do get the hang of the shopping and in the end it seems to level out. I think we spent a lot more during out first month, but now that we're getting used to it, our grocery budget is being about the same as it was before. Frankly, it has to, because we don't have more money to spend on groceries than we did before.

I know what you mean about getting sick of eggs. My well-meaning hubby fixed me eggs for breakfast today (bless his heart, anyway!). I didn't have the heart to tell him I honestly didn't want to eat them. I'd just had fried eggs yesterday morning. There are ways around those eggs, especially once you get off Induction. My breakfast now generally consists of some type of meat (left-overs if I can horde them from the night before, turkey ham if I can't), a few frozen berries with half-and-half, and maybe some kind of veggie like sauteed mushrooms. Thankfully I handled eggs well during Induction.

And by the way, once you reach the end of the two-week Induction period, whether or not you up your carbs, you can start adding things like nuts and berries in moderation. You don't want to overdo any of them. I usually eat 1/4 cup of berries a day (these are frozen whole) as well as 1/4 cup of mixed raw nuts (I buy them in the bulk and mix them myself), and the nutrient content of these foods more than make up for their costs.

Anyhow, best of luck to you, and just don't give up!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 10:14
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 169/132/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 128%

I got frustrated too and almost went completely off the diet in the evenings because I couldn't keep up the cost of making 2 meals at dinner.
I started looking at ads for my local grocery stores online to see where I could go to get good deals. I sometimes had to travel to 3 stores but a savings of over $50 was worth it.
This morning I tried the "Mock Danish" recipe for the first time and can honestly say I loved it. It takes away from the egg taste and can be made very cheaply.
If you buy 1 8oz tub of cream cheese and a dozen eggs you can have a breakfast breaking away from all the egg taste. I figure just for breakfast this way I can make them for under $.50 a piece (I use Splenda and cinnamon with a dash of vanilla). Just one dozen eggs, 1 8oz tub of cream cheese and additions to taste, will last me an entire week.
I also find the deli meat in the luncheon meat section relatively cheap and there is always one brand on sale. This gives you up to 12 slices .. the serving size is 6 slices but I normally only use 2 or 3.
It takes a little planning but there are cheap ways to do the diet with dilligence. <<< btw I am a single parent to 4 so I know how to be frugal as well, took a few years of practice. You hang in there and remain strong, you will be fine.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 10:23
Alan Rickman Addict

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%

I too can relate. I guess it's a good thing that I've lost the taste for beef.

What helped me a lot was stocking up on meat, eggs, and certain veggies on the sales and when it's in season. I cook up what I can (bulk cooking) and freeze it into individual meals (I hate cooking ) This way I have no excuse on workdays (ok, no legitimate excuse )

Hang in there!!