Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: candida
Stats: 175/159/135 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Coconut Oil + Olive Oil

Do you use and in what form - and why.......I am looking for some additional fat(can you believe I said that!) - seems like an easy way to get it - but what other benefits would I get?
thank you in advance for your help........I feel like my body is gearing up to a whoooosh. - can't wait
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 11:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

I know some people use coconut oil as a thermogenic - for people with sluggish thyroid it can stimulate the thryoid a little.

I was seeing a Naturopath years ago and one of the things she had me do was drink a tablespoon of cold pressed sesame oil every day. It was interesting. But it gave me a great appreciation for sesame oil. I still enjoy the taste very much. If you like olive oil try some extra virgin cold pressed olive oil. The taste is very pure.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 11:24
Registered Member

BF:

thank you tracy - so the olive oil is just for fat calories? - and yes, i would only use extra virgin.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 11:33

BF:

I suppose if you needed more fat - that would be a good option. I get plenty of fat from my current diet. But if you are looking for a fat boost - taking in some extra oil could be good.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 11:50
Registered Member

BF:

regarding the coconut oil - does it come in grades like olive? - can you pick it up in the grocery store?
mb
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 14:22

BF:

I have talked to 2 people who are using coconut oil. I believe they are getting it at health food stores.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 16:01

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 283/238.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default coconut

hi there,

i stopped loosing wt, so i started taking coconut oil, (its expensive and only available at health food stores and places like vitamin shoppe) so having the scientific mind that i do, i came up with the idea of coconut oil comes from coconut, so i cked out coconut milk, and coconut flesh, the unsweetened kind, as for the milk, i take in a cup a day, that gives me about 3-4 tbsp of the oil, the only slight downside is a cup has 4 g of carbs, so if u r off induction u can fit it in easily, and there is so much more u can do with milk, it is more palatable, i mix mine with a pkt of splenda and i throw it in the freezer for about an hour, it comes out tasting smooth and creamy almost like an ice cream type snack, or u can drink it like that, lots of stuff to do with it, the best part is a 14 oz can costs anywhere from 1.19 at walmart to 1.69 at the health food sore (way cheaper than the oil) and it has done for me what it has promised, so good luck hope it works for ya
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 17:40
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Nursegal, I bought just the grocery store type coconut oil. It just says 100% coconut oil for $1.99. Does it make a difference what type of coconut oil you use?

Quote:
i came up with the idea of coconut oil comes from coconut, so i cked out coconut milk, and coconut flesh, the unsweetened kind, as for the milk, i take in a cup a day, that gives me about 3-4 tbsp of the oil, the only slight downside is a cup has 4 g of carbs, so if u r off induction u can fit it in easily
Have you noticed any weight loss substituting the milk instead of the oil? I like coconut milk and flesh. Which one do you use? The milk or the flesh.

In what way is extra virgin oil better then just plain olive oil, besides taste?

Peace
red
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 22:38

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 283/238.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%

for the coconut oil, i think it needs to be virgin, or pure, if u can find it for 1.99, thats great, but i think it may have been a typo. I have lost now 4 lbs since having started the coconut milk, i did coconut oil x 2 days and got grossed out, and im getting the same effect with the milk. (for me its much more enjoyable)

as for olive oil, i think the virgin stuff is the best, its the least processed, its thicker, and again it has that wickedly strong flavor,

if u like that type of strong flavor, then go for it and enjoy, but i like it better this way.