Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 22:15

Plan: na
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy help!!Im hypoglycemic..and Menapausal...with Migraines....

I just don't know what to do...I have been on diets for Hypoglycemia...and Migraine for a long time now...and have done ok...until reciently...I have started getting dizzy...shakey..hot flashes..(menapause!!) and more frequent Migraines.....mine are the complicated kind...and scare the hell out of me...Im to the point that I feel that I have almost nothing that I can eat....with these diets....when I first went on the diets...I lost 26 lbs...and I really didn't need to lose that much weight...I looked bad...but as time passed I could eat more...and suffer less...yes I still watched what I did...but now...its like no matter what I do...I feel very sick...and now to mention...Im getting very anxious...and Im afread of panic attacks again....what do I do...????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 06:35
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hello Irish!

We're here to help you all we can, but we need some good information from you. You should start out by completing your profile.... birthdate, weight/height, how long you've been low-carbing, what low-carb books you've read. This gives us an idea of your base of knowledge, ok?

Then I think the most important info we need is to know if you are under the care of a physician, whether or not he is supportive of your low-carb eating plan, and what medications you are taking.

Can you give us an idea of what a typical daily menu might be for you?

That should get us started......
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 07:15

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs down ***** Hormones again!

Hi Irish

I know about the problems with the menopause. I certainly going through them at the moment. I find I get stressed quite easily and things that I could do easily a year a go I find difficult. A lot of this is not affected a great deal by diet and I've now started HRT, however, although things have improved there is some way to go. I'll be chatting about this when I see the doctor later this month. Check things out with your doctor - some things need a helping hand along the way.

On a low carb front you will find lots of support here whether you are living this lifestyle for health or weight loss reasons.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 10:51

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%

Greetings, Irish,

I am so very sorry to read about your problems. I am guessing that I am just a few years older than you. Although migraines can be caused for many different reasons, mine were clearly linked to hormones. As I got older, the migraines diminished in frequency.

I used to use a prescription drug called Midrin (Duradin is another name) and found that it helped with the migraines a lot. I think that discussing them with a doctor is essential, although perhaps you already have.

I have been largely migraine free for the past couple of years although the decade when I was in my 40s was Migraine Hell.

I also believe that you should speak candidly to your doctor about panic attacks. I have had them; I have a medication that helps with them. I am really not taking a huge amount of drugs although it might sound like I am.

The migraine medication I almost never need anymore, but I keep some around just in case. The panic attack medication (tranquilizer) is something that I use rarely. I know that many doctors are reluctant to prescribe these drugs because they are highly addictive, but if you explain the situation clearly, you can probably get a prescription for just 3 or 4 pills and then take them at the beginning of a panic attack.

That way you don't abuse the drugs; you do not get addicted, and you feel a little bit of control over the panic.

As for blood sugar, I am the opposite of you (hyperglycemic) so cannot offer much experience there.

You ask "what do I do?" My answer is to make sure you have a good doctor and visit him or her. If you don't get help, find another doctor. Do as much reading and research as you can. Come back to this board and post. Start a journal; I did only last week and have had all kinds of wonderful feedback and advice.

You will most likely feel better if you share your problems and vent and don't try to carry the burden all alone.

Hugs to you,

Natalie