Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 13:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 124/120/110 Female 68 inches
BF:26.8
Progress: 29%
Cool Question about Buffalo Wings product... (and a question about sugar on Atkins)

Hi,

I'm new and just recently started the atkins plan. I'm a college student and really can't afford to make my meals (just can't afford to spend 10 bucks a meal--and really dont' have even 20 minutes to make a meal). So, I have to try to get through this introduction phase with at least SOME precooked foods.

I bought the book today, read through it, and then went shopping. I bought some chicken breasts, cheese, etc.... and then I found these Buffalo Style Wings ($3.00) that I bought after inspecting the label. I think these are okay to eat... but I guess I want to double check (cause these suckers were delicious -- had them for lunch today). Can someone please let me know if there is anything in here that will not work on the introduction phase? The Carb count seems fine--but the book seems to say absolutely NO sugars (can someone please explain this to me as well? Some Low carbo foods have only like 2g of sugar...is that amount okay? or Foods must have absolutely none?)

Label:

Serving Size: 3
Calories 160
Total Fat 11g
Sat Fat 3g
Cholestrol: 120mg
Sodium 810mg
Total Carbohydrate 2g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 0g
Protein 13g

Ingredients:
Chicken wing sections, water, salt, modified food starch, vinegar, Flavoring, Maltodextrin, Sodium Phosphate, Sugar, Paprika, Cellulose Gum, Oleoresin Paprika, Beet powder

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 14:15
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Modified food starch for one, is generally a no-no on Atkins. I see these also contain sugar, though a small amount, could be avoided completely by making your own wings with hot sauce and butter. There are some excellent recipes here on the forum.

Last edited by 4beans4me : Wed, Feb-18-04 at 14:17.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 14:29

Stats: 124/120/110 Female 68 inches
BF:26.8
Progress: 29%
Default Well that's upsetting...

Well that's frustrating.

I thought I had spotted such a find. Guess I didn't do great on the introduction phase today. :/

Thanks for the info!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 19:40

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

Buffalo wings on the LC WOL is ideal, as long as they are truly Buffalo wings. You can make them yourself, simply deep fry wings, then add the sauce made with 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1/4 cup hot sauce and some vinegar. I would say these are likely zero carbs and with a glass of wine, who can argue that Atkins wasn't the greatest person.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 22:01

Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

You don't need to deep fry them either.

To make buffalo wings I buy wings, cut the tips of and section them. Preheat the oven to 325 and then sprinkle the wings with garlic powder (not garlic salt) this is optional of course. Then bake them for 30 minutes. When they are cooked I then toss them in a wok or frying pan with about a 1/4 cup of hot sauce (for a large pkg of wings), 1 tsp of worsteshire sauce + 4-5 drops of tobasco. Once the cooked wings are all coated they are good to go and a large package of wings can be good for several meals!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 00:20
Registered Member

Stats: 345/222/215 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 95%

first few weeks id get soem fresh sausage and stuff and just bbq/bake those.. after that you'll be okay with the prepackaged stuff.

you can buy 100ct bags of wings at sams/costco and some wing sauce at smart and final and make them yourself as well.