Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 07:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/153/145
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default How much water should I be drinking?...

Just curious as to how much water I should be drinking in an average day. I've decreased my diet soda intake to just about 0. Maybe one a week if I'm out to dinner or something. Usually just water and an ocaisional ice tea.

I drink tons of water at the moment. Maybe 150-180 oz. a day. Maybe more in a day where I'm more active. Just want to make sure I don't get to much.

Also want to thank everyone that posts on the ALCF. This place is a great wealth of inspiration, info, and really helps keep me motivated and going. It's really helped my confidence to come here and read everyones tips and advice aswell as everyones sucess. If someone would of told me a year ago I'd loose this much weight and feel this good and confident I would have thought they were nuts. I've still got another 10 lbs to lose to meet my goal but I know it's just a matter of time.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 08:23

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

The rule of thumb is that a person should drink 64 ounces of water PLUS 8 ounces more for every 25 pounds that they still want to lose.

For you at only 12 pounds to go, that makes about 68 ounces total (2 liters - litres if you are Canadian). If you want to drink more and feel comfortabe doing it, then you should be OK.

From your original weight with 50 pounds to lose, 80 ounces (2.5 litres) would have been adequate.

Some people drink 4-6 litres daily (132 - 198 ounces) if exercising heavily or if they like it. It IS possible to drink too much but you'd probably feel pretty sick and weak as your electrolyte balance would be upset (potassium and sodium need to be balanced for healthy cell function.) The Induction period with its diuretic effect sometimes depletes potassium and extra is needed for that 2 weeks.

So moderation is probably the answer. Your water intake is more than adequate and you have lost very well already.

#3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 15:01

Stats: 159/145/135
BF:
Progress: 58%
Arrow

Well Barb already pretty much answered your question already, but here comes my answer. Yes, it is possible to drink too much water. I don't think what you are drinking now is too much, but if you start feeling a little sick maybe you should try to drink a little less. Anyway that is all... good luck.

SooCee