Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 19:58

Plan: 80% atkins
Stats: 198/188/185
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default looking for muffin recipes with Stevia

I've read a few things on Splenda that doesnt convince me that it's an entirely safe sugar substitute, but most of the lo-carb baking recipes have splenda.
I personally fell that Stevia is a much safer product and am looking to make cookies / muffins / deserts with Stevia instead.

Can anyone give me some good ideas with Stevia?

When I see recipes asking for 1 cup of Splenda, that just scares me. (personal opinion). Also it seems VERY expensive, and I havent found it in bulk (if I'm going to use 1 cup of it)

thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 00:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 313/300/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I only use stevia - I too, am not convinced about Splenda's safety.

I just picked up "Low Carb Cooking with Stevia" by James Kirkland. I haven't made anything yet, but it has lots of yummy-looking recipes, including muffins, breads, desserts, etc. I found it at Whole Foods; amazon.com also has it.

Sue
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 01:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Any low-carb muffin recipe would work with stevia. Neither artificial sweeteners or stevia add anything to the structure of baked goods so they can be interchangable.

Here's how to do a search on the Forums. In this case, go to the Low Carb Kitchen Forum. At the bottom right of the page you'll see a search box. Type in 'muffin' and away you go! There's also a few in readers recipes under Low Carb Recipes at the top of the page.

I use a mixture of powdered stevia and chicolin. It's easier to measure and to blend.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 22:12

Plan: Atkins, PP, locarb in general
Stats: 178/161/145
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hey Karen! What is chicolin?

ANDY-- I too only use Stevia. I have a very good friend who is a Naturopath Doctor and he did an extensive study on Splenda. If anyone would like me to forward the report to their e-mail you can e-mail your request to my name all in small caps ~ excite.com. It(the report) wasn't very favorable.

Also I found that in using Stevia, use the powdered form and not the packages. Its cheaper and doesn't have any fillers. It is more concentrated and you use less of the powder. My best bargain was ordering from putitan's pride. They ran a special 3 for the price of one!!

I have a cheesecake and chocolate truffles recipe using Stevia to die for. But, I don't have them handy. I might have posted one, I'll go look for it and edit this if I can find it. If not look for "Stevia Cheesecake" under sweets in a couple of days and I'll post it and "Stevia Chocolate Truffles". marylaczkoskie

I posted the recipe for the chocolate truffles in my journal. it is on the first page 4th entry. Uh, I tended to get really wordy in the beginning. So you may have to look a bit. I'll post the cheesecake one in the sweets post at a later date. Keep a lookout for it.

Last edited by Laczkoskie : Thu, Mar-20-03 at 22:22.