Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 11:14

Plan: Atkins and lo cal
Stats: 238/158/145 Female 60 inches
BF:?/35%/25%
Progress: 86%
Lightbulb Need Help

Does anyone else have a problem with eating too much protein? I am not sure what is happening, but I am very close to my goal weight and trying very hard to get there. I noticed I can keep my carbs and my cals at 20 or below and cals at 1600 or below - but it all comes from protein (cheese, nuts, meat,eggs) and very little from veggies. So even though my numbers look good, i have been going up again (158 to 159 today)

I had atkins at home delivery for a month and they sent every meal with protein and veggies. i did great, but can't afford to keep this up lol. So i'm on my own again and not doing well. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 12:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/140/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 105%

Hey Julie, since you are so close to your goal weight, it's my understanding that weight loss slows. Maybe trying to mix up your foods some, like tuna with extra mayo, adding some more fat may help. Also, the recipe section of this site is a great source for veggie suggestions. Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 12:04

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I have found that eating meats and veggies and staying away from processed foods and nuts helps. I know the salty nuts causes me to retain water like you wouldn't believe.

It seems like when I did add in nuts it caused me to stall. Maybe cut back on those and add in more veggies to get to your 20 grams would help.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 13:40

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

One way I keep the veggies going is having raw ones in the fridge all the time with great dips, like Marie's dill dip. I find this very tasty and it couldn't be easier. You can get a whole container of already washed & cut up veggies from a grocery salad bar, for instance.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 22:23

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

hey wait, what? Atkins has in home delivery? How!? Where?! Can I get it?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 21:44

Thumbs up Thanks for the help

Some good ideas. I have eaten more veggies yesterday and today, so we'll see how it goes. It was nice to see the replies

Yes, Atkins has a home delivery program. It's www.atkinsathome.com - I felt like a celebrity They dropped my food off every evening for the next day. The best thing ever! But, at $37.00 per day, it was a present for my birthday to help me because I was so frustrated. I was trying so hard to loose weight - excercise, tons of water, 20 carbs/day - but the scale and the measuring tape did nothing and sometimes went up! So the delivered meals for a month gat me another 10 pound weight lose and I have 8 pounds to get to my goal of 150 (which has been my goal for 3 1/2 years). Now that I am that close, I'm thinking 145 might be better. This website it so helpful, but I don't think I have figured out how to get the most out of it yet.

I have good new ideas from you guys to try now, thanks
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 23:54

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Ahhh, veggies! It doesn't seem like I can get enough of them, LOL. Great ways to get in veggies are to have a few left-over from dinner. I also keep a lot of frozen veggies on hand, which helps.

Along in the afternoon I'll sometimes heat some broccoli and cauliflower in the microwave then melt a slice of cheese on it. It's scrumptious! We do a lot of stir-fries around here, too, which makes use of cheap cuts of meat, and you can throw in just about any vegetable you can think of. A day without salad is like a day without sunshine!

Another favorite is something along the lines of tuna casserole, but instead of using noodles, we use cauliflower and chopped spinach, and instead of tuna I use baked turkey (one of my kids hates tuna--come to think of it she really doesn't like this casserole that well, but the rest of us do! LOL).

Do you cook any roasts, or roast chicken? If so, bake cabbage with the meat. Just add it shortly before the meat's ready to come out of the oven. If you're fixing hamburger patties, sautee a few mushrooms and an onion slice to top it.

If/when you make salads, stay away from lettuce and use things like spinach, fresh broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, so on and so forth (a few more carbs=a few more calories from veggies--and WAY more nutrition). We've even gone to adding quite a bit of parsley to our salads because it's super high in nutrients and very inexpensive, and adds a wonderful flavor.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 08:14
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I notice the more redmeat I eat the more I retain water.. Well, it's cause I tend to use ALOT of salt when I eat red meat.. Somthing I need to cut out for sure.The salt that is.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 10:39

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

You can make a nice lasagna using sliced zucchini instead of pasta and ground turkey instead of ground beef and sausage. You can even throw in some extra veggies and mushrooms if they don't stall you. I take out some tomato sauce as it seems tomotoes stall me. I make salad using fresh baby spinach instead of lettuce since it is much more nutritous and very low carb. My spinach says 3 cups has 7 gms carbs and 7 gms fiber. Eat it with ranch and it is only 1 carb or olive oil and vinegar and no carbs.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 12:54

Post Great Ideas

Again - all great ideas I will try. The veggie thing is always difficult. Don't LOVE them and is why WW was always so hard to follow. Now it seems they seem to haunt me anywhere I go
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 00:02

Default Tried 2

Made the zucchini lasagna and a cauliflour/broccoli casserole i found on the site - so , so yummy! The weight is coming off again. 6 pounds to get to 150!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 07:51

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Good for you...The best advice I can give is to just keep your favorite foods in stock, especially veggies. You can make this work :^)
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 08:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sounds like you know what the problem is! I'd just say, break out the recipes, warm up the oven and get cooking! Or just start eating some meal sized salads. If you get prewashed mixed baby lettuce or baby spinach, you could be noshing on some good salads with 5 minutes worth of work. Crumble some cheese on it, toast some walnuts and toss them on and your favorite salad dressing and there you go!

I also keep frozen veggies on hand. Baby brussel sprouts, green beans, brocolli flowerettes. I just microwave them for a couple minutes and melt butter on top. I find I get better quality frozen veggies at Trader Joe's than a regular supermarket, cheaper too.

Then you can get a bundle of asparagus and BBQ it. Just coat with EVOO first, bbq, salt. Amazing taste.

Vegetables are so easy to prepare. You can buy a lot in better stores that are already washed and ready to go.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:22
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

Just a question: as close to goal as you are how are you going to handle the OWL stage?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:39
Registered Member

Stats: 264/218.5/155 Female 5'9"
BF:43%/38%/23%
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjen72
I have found that eating meats and veggies and staying away from processed foods and nuts helps. I know the salty nuts causes me to retain water like you wouldn't believe.

I agree here about the nuts and processed foods. I do have almonds once in a while, but I notice when I have them they really make me retain the water. So I find it better to just stay away from them.