Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 10:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/138/132
BF:22%
Progress: 25%
Default Gaining and/or stalling HELP!

I am not sure what has been going on with me....but I did do some "cheating" over the summer. Only on my vacation I allowed myself to have some dessert and some corn bread. I had to live a little, but this did not make me really gain, but I felt so bloated. The only cheating items for me are nuts, which I regulate.

Anyway, it has been nearly two months that I have decided it was not worth it and how much more I love this WOE. So, I thought the few extra bloated pounds would come off. I had to start birth control pills b/c of serious menstrual irregularities (not having one for a month or two and then having 3 a month.) Now I am taking Cyclessa and just started my third pack this past Sunday night.

I am somewhat bigger, about 5 lbs, than I was last May. I have tried to cut out items and I have even tried the Meat and Fat Fasts, yet I am still carrying the weight. With the fat fast I feel starved, therfore I had to stop it b/c it's no way to live. I have been on Atkins for 13 months and maintained well. Now I am wondering if the added fat is making me fatter. It could be that my body is changing, but I cannot figure it out.

Does anyone know if this WOE can make people gain. I work out at the gym each day and burn at least 500 calories at least 4 days a week. On weekends I am very active.

Can anyone help and offer me advice. I noticed that the weight I've gained has been since I tried the meat fast. Perhaps I need more carbs? I try to stay under 20 daily and have been that way since I started. I have not progressed through the stages well b/c I do notice I start to gain when I get above 30grams. I do not eat the low carb bars or treats.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 11:05
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

It's probably the birth control pills. Many women gain weight while on birth control pills. They can cause a balloon of 25+ lbs.

Sometimes 3 months on Atkins regulates periods. Discuss with your doctor if there is a lower estrogen alternative.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 09:15

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there sabyjeter....

It's rather difficult to give you help without a lot more detail. I'd like to suggest that you consider starting a journal and recording your daily menus there. That would give the 'eagle eyes' around the forum a better opportunity to help you out.

One of the things that has been confirmed over and over again, is that when we have dieted over and over again, our metabolisms respond differently and resist weight loss. As you are so active, it's possible that you are not eating enough to support all of the activity and your body's response is to hang on to everything it has to protect you.

You mentioned trying meat fasts and fat fasts and it could be that you have triggered more resistance by using them. I suspect that the best way for you to go about this is to follow the LC plan of your choice to the letter and give your body a chance to adjust before trying to 'force' weight loss.

Marlaine
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 12:32

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Its hard this isn't it!
Might you be gaining muscle from your workouts, making you heavier? How are your measurements?
I need to keep below about 30 carbs to lose too.
I understand that BC can make weight loss more difficult - but not impossible, lots of folk are on it and losing, so don't lose hope.
I cut dairy and started losing again - we're all different about this, so you might like to try it and see.
Marlaine's advice about posting what you eat and do for exercise is good, someone may be able to spot some patterns.
Hope you find your answers, its really frustrating, but I'm sure you'll win through. Keep smiling, Jay
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 10:50

Stats: 140/138/132
BF:22%
Progress: 25%
Cool

Thank you for your responses. I have been struggling so much but I love this WOE. It's the only way I can eat and maintain. I am about 5'8" and I used to skip meals to weigh between 130 to 134lbs. I did a lot of bad things to my body of the last 10 years and regret the havoc it's done to my metabolism and reproductive system. This is the only time in my life that I have been able to feel good about myself and eat....still managing to stay anywhere from 150-140lbs.

I don't know what I weigh now, b/c the numbers no longer concern me. But, yes my measurements did go down at first, but I did some things that we not "sound" which has now caused them to not be as small as they were when I first began atkins.

My clothes are tighter and I swear I am following the diet very well. However I agree that the fasts have caused me to not lose any weight.

Yes, I think that perhaps I am once again building muscle...which leads to excess water and measurments. I think that once my body adjusts I should feel better. I need to adjust with the BC and with my IBS. I have to take Zelnorm every morning for my IBS, which I am not sure what that can do.

I would like to post my menus and exercise. Do I do that here?

Today: Two fried eggs and Two sasuage pattys
coffee with one splenda

Lunch: will be a salad: romaine and spinach leaves with a tiny bit of diced turkey, 1 and 1/2 HB egg, and creamy italian dressing....2 tb+1grm carb.

Gym: yesterday I did elliptical for 45 and rowed for 10, and outer leg lifts.
This morning 5lbs. arm weights for shouldgers and biceps. Today I will probably do the elliptical and tredmill.....I always get about an hour of cardio which equals betweeen 450-600 calories burned.

Dinner is usually more low carb...or a salad with chicken.

Dinner