Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 16:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 130/128/115
BF:30%
Progress: 13%
Question Life Without Bread

Has anyone tried this plan? I have been reading sooo many books about LC-ing (well over 20). Anyway, this book had the highest rating on Amazon, and I got it from my library. It is very well written and nicely researched--what makes it unusual is that it advocates 72 grams of carbs a day; the highest LC limit I've found so far. Has anyone trried it? What do you think--is it really necessary to go super-low LC? I want to tstick with what will work best, so I'd appreciate any info--thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 22:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/125/125 Female 5'5
BF:dunno
Progress: 100%

yah its a really really super informative book- the most scientific lc book i have read- it makes sense to eat so many carbs in order not to have your body waste lean protein when it reverts to gluconeogensis; however, it can make carbs when it digests fatty acids, if i am not mistaken...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 07:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

I have this book in my library - but it is the ONE low carb book I have not actually read yet! LOL! Guess I better pull it off the shelf and read it. The 72 carb level is very similar to the recommendations in the Schwarzibein (spelling?) Principle program. I think this is a level of carbs that for most people "just" barely takes you out of ketosis. I know I do not LOSE on that high of a carb level - so I probably would not follow the program to lose... but I find lots of good information that will be useful for my long term maintenance phase when I read these other programs.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 13:05

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

This is intersting. I like the concept of not having to count carbs in things like veggies and cheese (if I understand the reviews on Amazon.com correctly) and that you can have fruit.

I'd like to know from those who have tried it/are on it - how is/were your carb cravings? This actually concerns me more about LCing than actual weight loss and energy levels because I'm a compulsive eater and one of the biggest benefits I've had with LCing is curbing my binges and cravings.

Thanks,
Tam
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 15:06
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Rhys

Is this plan based on the glycemic load of carbs. The plan I just started is and you don't count carbs on it although you control them. The weight loss phase allows only carbs low on the GI scale and you cannot eat fat and carbs in the same meal. The carb counts will be higher than a traditional low carb diet,but still much lower than a typical junk food or non-controlled diet. All sugars except fructose are banned and you have to really watch out for hidden starches etc. same as low carb. The allowable carbs are all high quality - ie grains, legumes, unprocessed foods
my plan is not low fat but neither is it high fat so in the end the calories come in at a lot less than they would on a high fat low carb plan. I haven't been doing it long so I can't really report on the effectiveness of it. Although what I can say is that I basically ate this way for several years and was very stable in my weight. Its only recently that I have gained due to a few non-diet related reasons.