Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 15:19

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%
Progress: 100%
Default Any One Ever Been On The Raw Food Diet?

I have been on the Raw Foods Diet (eating only raw fruits, veggies, nuts, coconut oil - no meat or dairy) for about 1 year. Initially I felt great so I was very excited but then when i went on a month of fruit & nuts only - I noticed my hair thinning and my skin getting really dry. I started craving raw egg yolks and I began eating about 4 at a time (no whites). I went on DR. MERCOLA website and he recommended adding raw egg yolks to your diet. I did and my skin regained moisture, no more hair loss and my nails began growing!!

Right now I am rethinking that the initial positive aspect of the raw foods diet is short lived!! People on a raw foods forum complain about drastic weight loss, hair loss, digestive disturbances!!

I just want to be healthy and normal - that's all!! I also came a cross this website that I found really interesting as it doean't restrict too much food except that it must be whole & natural - no artificial products. DR. WESTON PRICE

Your input is much appreciated!!
Sunkist
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 20:56

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Knew someone

Had a co-worker come to an event raving about her raw foods diet. Lost a bunch of weight; we could see how her clothes didn't fit. Some Biblical connection; eating food the way God gave it to us. Or something.

That meeting was in August, I think. Saw her 18 months later and she'd regained and wasn't eating raw anymore.

I think it's easier to eat raw foods in the summer; I need cooked stuff in the winter.

I would worry about any diet that couldn't support fingernail growth, myself. That's a pretty good "basic health" indicator. However, I would also wonder why you are asking about this on a low carb website?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 21:19

Well if you notice I also mention that I've been researching other diets such as though touted by Dr. Mercola & theories of Dr. Weston Price.

They seem to include all major food groups with the exception of grains and they lean toward low carb, higher protein. It just seems that the longer term health results are better when you have animal protein & fats in your diet?

Why did you think I came on here to spout off about the wonders of raw food - veganism etc? No - just looking for some advice and if others who may have been on any raw foods diet for a longer period had some valuable input!!

Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 07:54

Plan: pp
Stats: 167.6/164/140 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi,

I tried Raw foods for just a couple of months. I lost weight but was SOOOO hungry. Especially for meat. I added raw cheese to my diet but it really wasn't cutting it. Finally I started getting ridges on my fingernails and figured it wasn't good for me.

I do believe that the raw foods diet can be very healing if used for a limited amount of time.

I have also read much of the same stuff you have. I really like "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. I like Mercola but can't shake the feeling that he's in it for the money. I was disturbed a couple of months ago when he requested that newsletter subscribers give him e-mail addresses of people who might be interested. I think it was some kind of a contest to win his book.
ANYWAY - that was a bit of a rant.

I read the "Metobolic Typing Diet" and did the quiz, have you? I was a strong protein type.

Good luck with this diet. It appeals to me, too. I am on my 5th day of induction.

Peace,

Jen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 09:04

Default THANKS JEN!!!

I appreciate your input. I too noticed problems with my nails on the raw food diet (slight ridges and NO growth). I added raw egg yolks and within one week noticed improvement.

I liked Dr. Mercola's site - he has some good info. I may try to go to his seminar in July in LA. We'll see. I did notice that he is really marketing his NO GRAINS book right now - it's a tightrope to advertise enough yet not seem to be pushing something too strongly!! I love the Weston Price website and it has some info on "nourishing traditions" - I'll get that book soon!!

Like I said I had become so alarmed by not only all the crazy problems people were having with the raw diet but also the propencity for the members of a particular raw forum to address failing health issues by saying "Oh - that's just detox", or "well you must be struggling with some emotional problems and that's why you're losing your hair, no period, extreme weight loss"

What really bothered me is that a couple of young teen girls got on there asking for help with their emaciated condition and everybody was just like "hang in there it will get better - eat more fruit - do a fast or a cleanse"

It scared me to think that if those girls didn't get right answers they could end up in the hospital or worse!! I got blasted by some of the others for suggesting these girls were not healthy and that they should consider maybe raw egg yolks and meats/fats!!

Anyway - now I'm the one ranting

Thanks again for your words of encouragement!!
Sunkist