Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 15:56

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Thumbs up So Im Making Pot Roast!!!

I just wanted to share my excitement with everyone.. this is my first 'done by me and me only' pot roast.. its got about 30-45 min left.. Im going to be adding some carrots here shortly for my veggies...

All I need now is for the boyfriend to get home from work and all will be well!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 17:13

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%

I'm just learning to cook also. I can basically burn anything, since I refuse to stand around the kitchen, so if it doesn't have a set time for the oven or crockpot I might be doomed. Since I got a crockpot I feel like a gourmet, all because I'm capable of dumping in a thing of some kind of meat and some spices. Wish I'd had one years ago!! On lowcarb it's like the microwave used to be for me -- I wondered how I ever lived without it!

PJ
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

For me, that's been the biggest side benefit of Atkins -- I learned to cook! A year ago, I could boil water, but that was stretching my repertoire; I made a mean lasagna, and a delicious red velvet cake, but that was about it. We ate out most nights, which I know was responsible for a lot of the weight gain (pasta dishes with cream sauces were my faves).

When I started LC, it quickly became obvious that it was either cook, starve, or quit, so I went with option A. I got out my almost-unused Joy of Cooking, bought Dana Carpender's 500 Low-Carb Recipes, and jumped in with both feet. I cooked two meals a day every day for six months, tried at least one or two new recipes every week, and progressed from kitchen disaster to a pretty good cook, according to ADH and everyone else I feed. I'm amazed at how much I enjoy it -- it's my new hobby!

Good luck with the pot roast. Next time get brave and try some mashed cauliflower to go with it!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 09:34

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I make pot roast in crock pot frequently - -one of my favorite dishes. I add onions, celery, and any other veggie I have frozen/fresh. I thicken the gravy with grated cheese & soy flour combo. No one knows or misses the carbs (potato, etc.).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 23:42

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 223/207/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

Another good way to cook pot roast:

Put roast in crock pot, add 1 packet of onion soup mix and one can of cream of mushroom soup.

It turns out so yummy and the sauce that is left is a wonderful gravy!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 02:10
Urban Jungle Denizen

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Cooking for yourself is awesome, once you learn to do it!

Just a note however - carrots are an Atkins no-no!

Hope you enjoyed your dinner, though!