Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 06:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228.5/208.5/125 Female 5 feet 3 1/2 iinches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default What's the lowest # of fat grams (or %)I can have daily and still lose on induction

I ask this because I have gallstones, and I'm having GI symptoms with my fat at 65-70 percent according to fitday. Any other hints would be appreciated. My carbs are 20 or under. I've been on induction 13 days, need to stay on it much longer because I have 90+ pounds to lose. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 06:58

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Saranka,

Why don't you try doing a search here for "gallstones". You'll likely find other people with gallstones and you could see what they're doing. Good Luck!

judy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 07:09
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks. I had done that already. Most people talk about having surgery.

I've had a number of surgeries on my poor body alread and don't want to have gallbladder surgery if I don't have to. So I still have the same question: How low can I go on fats and still lose effectively?

Thanks for your suggestion, though; it was a good one. Just that I had done that already.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 08:31

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm not sure you're going to find an accurate answer for that one because the amount of fat that can be tolerated varies from individual to individual. What works for me or any other person may still not be right for you and you may find that after a few more weeks your body can tolerate more fat than it can now as it adjusts to the higher fat intake.
You can cut the fat somewhat until you feel better or don't experience symptoms, but be aware that the lower your fat intake the greater the likelikhood that you will find yourself hungry. It's the fat that keeps us feeling satisfied longer. Cutting the fat also cuts your calories, so you could wind up stalling due to insufficient caloric intake and your metabolism lowering in response to that. It's a fine balance.
Gallstones do not go away on their own, so you may wind up needing to have that surgery eventually. The good news is that if they can do is laparoscopically, it's a very easy procedure and the recovery time is a week or less.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 09:54
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you. I understand. I only have 11 days off a year so I'm reluctant to use a week of them on surgery though,plus seems to me like I probably need a gallbladder.

I'm at about 1400-1500 calories now with 65-70 percent fat. Maybe I can't take it down too much further.

Thanks again.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 09:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

From what I've read, people with gall bladder problems (or no gall bladder) try to space their fats out over the day, including eating smaller meals. They try to avoid big 'doses' of fat. HTH.