Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 18:57
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%
Default tummy ache?

hi all,
i have a quick question,,, is it normal at about day 3 or 4, to get a tummy ache, when you are low carbing? i havent used any artificial sweeteners to cause it, and i havent eaten anything bad, before i get the pangs. is my tummy shrinking "laugh", or is it all adjusting to the change. any ideas, thanks in advance!!
paige17257
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 20:02
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Well, I've seen the complaint before on this board.... but I'm sure it's just part of the whole carb-withdrawal thing.

May I ask what you have been eating? What is a typical daily intake for you? If you're eating a lot of bacon or processed meats, that could definitely do it. Are you under any particular stress? Are you constipated? How much water are you drinking?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 06:55
Registered Member

Smile reply for Teri

well, i have been drinking lots of water. yesterday, all i had before this started, was my peanutbutter toast for breakfast (remember, i am low-carb, not, no-carbs). i then had a carb powder drink with milk, (powder was only 2 carbs), then i got the belly ache. i thought it might have been that powder stuff. there is so much "junk" in it, like preservatives, and such. i am not constipated, and i dont have the "runs." but i had a hard time getting rid of it. it never got better until i had my dinner, which was chicken and green salad(all lettuce). i though maybe i was just getting hungry, and it feels different now"laugh". i guess time will tell if it comes back. but i would appreciate your input. thanks!!
paige 17257
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 07:03
Starting Over!

Some people are kind of sensitive to peanuts.... I know they bother me sometimes. And you're right about the protein drink... maybe it was just the combination of those things. Did you try just having a rolaids or something like that?

If the problem persists, I would like to suggest that you stick to whole foods and keep the pepper, onions and garlic to a minimum for a couple of days. Give your tummy time to settle down and you'll probably be okay after that.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 07:11
Registered Member

Default thanks teri

thanks teri!!
i appreciate your input. i thought that it might be a whole adjustment thing, but i just wanted to make sure, that there wasnt a "hidden" secret to all of this, that i needed to know, or watch out for. you know? like any changes, that i am not used to?
i thought maybe my tummy was shrinking!!heheheh.
thanks again.
paige17257
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 07:17
Starting Over!

Oh, one other thing.... the powder you're using... does it have soy protein or whey? Some people are pretty sensitive to soy. If you decide to make the protein drinks a semi-regular part of your diet, you may want to try switching to whey. I use Optimum Nutrition or GNC whey.... chocolate (of course!).... they're both good. I think they taste WAY better than soy, too.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 07:33
Registered Member

Default i'll check that out

hi teri,
i will check that out, on the back of my can. you know, sometimes, it is easier for me to just drink my lunch, then worry about fixin a proper meal. i wont always do it, but somedays, i am just so busy, and i guess a protein drink, is better than, skipping the meal altogether. i will check out the types you told me to. i lovvvee chocolate. sometimes, i think, those drinks, help curb my chocolate craving. i still feel like i am getting some, you know!!
thanks!
paige17257