Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 04:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/145/125 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Infertility

I was reading how a low-carbing helps with infertility.....any body have any more info on this?? I have so many questions and things I would like to share but dont know if I should post them here........somebody please help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 07:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 153/150/111
BF:
Progress: 7%

I have heard for sure losing weight can help .sometimes when your over weight the body does not work right .I have been on atkins for about 3 days i have so far lost 3 lbs .I miscarried about 3 weeks ago and am over weight about 35 lbs i have wondered if it had any thing to do with it .i wish you the best of luck .
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 15:31
Registered Member

BF:
Red face PCOS

oh cool, glad they moved my post over here......guess Im not too good at navigating around the site yet. But I found lots of info to my questions here........and also learned alot more to my questions about PCOS.............sadly think Im may have to look into this further........and Im sure I will be at those forums in the future. Anybody experiencing PCOS around here? I have some questions........ thanks everybody.........I guess I shouldnt be embarrased about questions that I have because I see that somebody else in here may have the same questions as I do.
deeray7
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 16:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Deeray!

Yes, low carbing will help if you have PCOS. As a matter of fact, it's recommended if you have PCOS.
The problem with PCOS is that it affects multiple body systems, not just the reproductive. Infertility is usually a symptom of other things going on such as insulin resistance and hormone inbalances, all of which are a part of PCOS.
Following low carb isn't a guarantee that you will be able to conceive if you have PCOS, but it certainly increases the odds that you will.
My DH and I tried for over 8 years to have a baby and during that time I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was also diagnosed with diabetes. Without realizing what I was doing, I lost nearly 70 lbs doing a lower (not low) carb diet and about a year after that, I got pregnant, so losing weight and cutting the carbs definitely helps. The doc who followed me when I was pregnant was the same doc who advised me that it was pretty unlikely that I would be able to conceive since Clomid and Pergonal didn't help and still can't explain how I was able to get pregnant not once but three times in a 2 year period. I now have 2 healthy, happy little girls (I miscarried the first baby at 17 weeks), so don't give up hope!

Dore...so sorry to hear about your miscarriage, but being overweight isn't usually the cause. Miscarriages happen for a lot of reasons and often they aren't able to determine precisely what went wrong but in many cases it's because of a developmental abnormality in the fetus and there's most likely nothing that you could have done to prevent it, so don't let anyone try to put a guilt trip on you (including yourself) by saying that it wouldn't have happened if you were thinner.
If you're thinking of trying to conceive again soon, it would be a good idea to start taking prenatal vitamins now so that you are in the best possible health before you get pregnant. I wish you the best!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 17:48
Registered Member

BF:
I have not been diagnosed with PCOS, but I have been looking into menstration problems on the internet because I have always had trouble with my periods or no periods at all. I dont have a particular doctor that I see since I am in college. I see the University doctors here and all they prescribe over and over is BC. I would really like to know why I cant get a p without some kind of bc. SO Im just beginning my search to find a good doctor thats willing to listen.......because I am not ready to conceive now but I would like to take care of anything thats wrong in advance. I cant remember when the last time was that I had a p! This scares me and I need to see someone soon that will take me serious. So thanks for all your advice Dore ad Lisa and everyone else that has good info on here because it really helps. Dee
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 18:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Dee..

Definitely find a doctor that will do something other than prescribe birth control pills to stimulate a period. You need to have your hormone levels tested. Not having periods is a sign that something has gone wrong with your body (either that or you're pregnant) and simply prescribing more pills without determining the cause of the problem isn't the answer. Good luck!