Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 01:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/234/177 Female 67 inches
BF:63/47/29
Progress: 43%
Default Anyone from the Kootenays??

Hi, I'm from Nelson, BC. I'm fairly new to LC and I'm especially interested in learning about some new products that may be available locally. Let's hear it from all you "Kooteneeries" or is it "Kootenarians"?? Maybe it's "Kootenites"??? How about "Kootenay People"???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 19:26

Plan: The G.I. Diet
Stats: 205/185/165 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/26%/23%
Progress: 50%
Default Kootenays

Hi Merryheart:
Revelstoke isn't exactly the Kootenays but it isn't exactly the Okanagan or the Shuswap either. Anyway how's it going? My wife and I started on Atkins but am trying the Sugar Busters! program now.
I think we will finally be rid of the extra pounds after years of frustration.
My wife would post here but doesn't use computers much.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 22:24

Default Hi Quincy and Mrs. Quincy

Nice to hear from you....I was beginning to think I was the only one from non big city BC!! I have been vacationing down at the coast and just got back today.....went with 5 kids so it was MacDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's. Pizza Hut, etc., etc. We got caught in the big wind storm in Qsooyos on Thursday night. I heard a couple of people were killed by falling trees..It was a pretty scary night, then driving home we couldn't get gas because all the power had been knocked down and gas pumps don't work without power. We went Camping in Kaslo at the beginning of the month and were hit by the biggest hail storm I ever seen....never thought I'd be shovelling ice in my bathing suit!! The weather has gone nuts....I think I'll stay home from now on and get back to eating right. Glad to hear your doing so well. I lost 12 pounds before my "vacation" and luckily I didn't gain it back in spite of all those hamburgers!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 08:44

Sounds like you had a rough trip alright Merryheart!
The wind seems to hit and hit harder in Revelstoke this year. Wonder if it's a sign. We spent some time in Faquier on the long weekend (my sister and brother in-law have a piece of land their where we all camp on) and for a while the wind and clouds were swirling around like it was fixing to start a tornado. Good thing we don't get them here.
The Zone seems like an interesting WOE and I am glad to hear you are having success on it. I know how easy it is to slip from the plan when you have to go somewhere or you go out for dinner with relatives and freinds. However I've found if it doesn't happen too much it hardly affects your progress. We started on Atkins and after the third week are now trying Sugar Busters as it seems to be a very sensible WOE for a lifetime. Donna and I feel that eating whole grain and foods as close to their natural state as possible can only be good for you and Sugar Busters fits right in with that thinking. There are so many ways to go but when you find a WOE that you feel comfortable with then I think success is inevitable.

Keep a merry heart
and when the storms of life blow anchor your faith in "The Rock".
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 17:18

Default Hi Quincy and Mrs. Quincy

I envy the fact that you are working on this new life change together. I think it helps to keep the motivation high. I live with my sister and she desperately needs to do something about her weight but she's not interested in joining me. It's too bad, I guess I will have to travel on this journey alone.

I have not been really following any one "plan". Basically I'm just cutting out all sugar and starches (bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc). I try to eat protein and fat with whatever carbs I do eat (fruits and vegetables). I kept track on "fitday" and I found I was consuming about 2000 calories a day and was loosing weight on that. Of course my starting weight was 260 so I can eat a lot more than someone who weighs less.

I have an appointment next week with a dietician. My doc is sending me because my blood sugar and cholesterol are too high. I'll wait until I get her imput before I decide on any one plan.

The only book I haven't read some of yet is Sugar Busters. What makes it different from Atkins or Carb Addicts??? I'm interested!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 22:02

Hi Joycey!
I'm really glad that Donna is doing this with me. You bet it's a lot easier that way.
I think maybe your sister will take an interest when she see's how much weight you will have lost.

Sugar Busters is not based so much on just low carb but foods that give a low glycemic index. In other words carbs that don't really crank you insulin which in turn causes fat storage. It's really a great WOE for diabetics or people with high blood pressure or cholesterol. But then so are the other low carb diets. It's a pretty simple diet in that there is no measuring etc. Just a few illegal foods and a lot of legal foods. You can eat protein and almost all veggies except a very few like corn and beets. You can also eat most fruit like apples, oranges, mangoes, cantaloupe.......... A few you can't eat are pineapple, bannanas and maybe a couple others. The thing we really like about it is that you can eat bread, pasta and rice (no potatoes) as long as the bread is stone ground whole grain and the rice is whole grain brown rice and the pasta is whole grain or whole wheat pasta. The reason whole grain is allowed is that it has been tested to produce a much lower glycemic or insulin response than refined or overprocessed grains. Hence lack of fat production. Also Sugar Busters does not allow you to eat anything that has "added" sugar to the ingredients.
It goes into much greater detail in the book or audio tapes (both of which I got from the library) but that's the diet in a nutshell.
Simple and a pretty healthy kind of diet. You may want to check out the Sugar Busters website at - www.sugarbusters.com.
Doctors or dietitions arn't always too agreeable to a low carb diet but they seem to slowly be coming around. I know some doctors have recommended the Sugar Busters diet to their patients as they don't encourage eating fat and do encourage eating safe complex carbs.
Anyway, I'm not trying to persuade you but for me it works and I can "live" with it.

Hope your sister comes around. Have a great week!
Quincy.

Last edited by Quincy : Sun, Aug-18-02 at 22:08.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 09:09

How's it going Joycey?

Just thought I'd check with you to see how you are making out on the Zone? Have you gone to see a dietician yet? Just wondering if a dietician agrees with low carb. I think think they would agree with sugar busters more than any other LC plan.

Hope your sister comes around. The leaner you get, the more your sister will want what you have!

I did cheat a little last weekend when we went out for dinner but it did not affect me much. I figure you are only defeated if you don't get back up after you fall. I will be smarter about making choices next time we go out.