Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 23:57

Plan: Modified DANDR with BFL
Stats: 215/170/155 Female 5'6"
BF:gonna/bea/hardbody
Progress: 75%
Unhappy Weak wrists and a numb big toe!!

I have 2 problems...

#1:
When I was younger I broke both of my wrists and neither of them healed completely right. On top of that I have ganglions (pus filled sacs/bubbles between my tendons and bones) which restrict the my wrist movement and are sometimes painful (very similar to carpal tunnel). As a result my wrists are extremely weak and on chest days my wrists give out long before my muscles. 1st I tried just gloves with wrist support, then the gloves plus an ace bandage like wrist wrap, then the gloves+ the wrap+ sports tape, then just the gloves and tape and NOTHING seems to be helping. What can I do to combat this problem or at least get a decent chest workout out of it? I have pain during other exercises but nothing like on chest days-mostly DB presses and flyes.

#2:
Ever since I got into a car accident about 3 years ago I have had a pinched nerve in my back. I haven't had any problems until recently. I'm not sure if my back is the problem or what but the entire left side of my right big toe has been numb for about 2 months. I have been doing yoga stretches for a couple of weeks and it seems to be helping a little bit. I was wondering if anyone knows what I could do to get the feeling back. I'm not sure what happened but I think it has to do with a particularly heavy squat day. That's the only thing I can think of so I have been avoiding heavy weight during squats as a precaution. Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 18:49

Anyone???
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: Kaufman, Atkins
Stats: 142/130/110
BF:22% or so
Progress: 38%

I wish I had noticed your question earlier!

I'm a chiropractor and I can tell you without much doubt at all that you are in need of chiropractic care.

A chiropractor treats the spine and other joints in the body to restore proper function of spinal vertebrae and other joints in the body. Every tissue in the body is negatively effected when joints become either fixated (stuck) or misaligned. Nerves become inflammed and don't send the proper signals to the tissues they innervate. The numbness in you toes (unless you were diabetic or had some other major organic problem) probably indicate that you have injured your back, most likely in the accident you spoke of and are further exacerbating it each time you work out. The problem will almost never resolve on its own.

Your wrists may have weaknesses that are permanent--however there is a problem we refer to as "double crush syndrome". One can have some pemanent nerve interference in the wrists that cause no symptoms--but if you were to have some nerve interference in the nerves that feed that area from a more proximal position in the neck in addition to what exists in the wrists, it can act as "the straw that broke the camel's" back--and cause the pain you describe. My guess it that may be your problem there too. The way you do the exercises in your chest routine may need to be modified.

Until some of these problems are addressed. Heavy lifting will not be a good thing for your body. I would stick to walking--and get yourself to a chiropractor soon!!

He/She will also be able to advise you on which exercises will help to speed your healing. And then on the timing when it would be safe to add the exercises you have been performing back into your routine.

One very important thing. Ask around your city and find people who have had good results with a certain doctor and be selective. Don't go for the one with the biggest yellow pages ad!! As in every profession there are masters, those that are average, and those that don't have a clue!!

Marj
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 16:08

THANK YOU!! I have talked to a couple aof people about seeing a chiropractor and still have kid of a phobia. I think I am ready to address it though, becasue I don't want to permanently damage anything.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: Kaufman, Atkins
Stats: 142/130/110
BF:22% or so
Progress: 38%

I understand the "phobia". Many people are afraid of the type of adjustments that make a "popping" sound. The sound is not the "cracking of bones" as many think but only the gas escaping from within the joint space, a phenonmenon called "cavitation". Most people experience this release as pleasant--not uncomfortable.

However--the even better news is that there are techniques of treating problems such as your that are called "low force" They involve no forceful manipulations at all and the treatments are great for those who feel the way that you do. In fact that is what I prefer myself. One of those techniques is called "activator" and a web site is available with lots of information including a directory of doctors around the country that are qualified in the technique. I would recommend one with an advanced rating.

http://www.activator.com

Good Luck!
Marj