Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 23:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/214/210 Male 72inches
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Not losing, anti depressant?

My first go around on atkins I lost quite a bit of weight. After that success, I gave up smoking. At the time I had been on an SSRI (Lexapro) for panic attacks for about a year. After going on Paxil initially, I gained a bit there too.

I decided in order to quit smoking, it was going to be necessary to not "deprive" myself of anything else. The comfort food came out, and I gained back quite a bit of weight.

The good news, is I've been completely smoke free for 11 months.

The bad news, is after an initial loss of 10 pounds, I've lost nothing for 2 months now. I never stalled anything like this before, except when I was still smoking, and was on Paxil for a while.

Does anyone have any experience in this? I'm getting off the Lexapro as I write this, been off for 4 days now. The circumstances which were triggering my panic attacks have been resolved and are no longer a concern.

How long before I can expect the Lexapro to stop having a negative effect on my weight loss efforts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 09:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't know, but you could ask the doctor how long it takes to get it out of your system. I would guess a couple of weeks, because that's how long they recommend being SSRI-free if they were going to switch someone to an MAO inhibitor (a different kind of anti-depressant that doesn't mix well with SSRIs.)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 10:23

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 31%

Did you wean off the lexapro?? Quitting Lexapro cold turkey can be dangerous.