Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:17

Plan: Atkin's Nutritional Approach
Stats: 190/165/150 Female 68 inches/ 5' 8 1/2"
BF:39/32/25
Progress: 63%
Default What's going on???

I don't know why, but when I got up this morning my pants were tight.
I stepped on the scale, and I'm up three pounds!

I haven't changed a thing (except for adding a small amount of nuts to my diet- induction is over).

Is this the dreaded carbo-witch I've heard about... or am I falling off the wagon??!?!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:20
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

are the nuts salted?? The biggest culprit for me for a quick few pounds and tight rings and pants is sodium?? If you think thats it either in the nuts or other foods lunch meats, sausage, canned vegies try to decrease the salt intake and increase the water...usually those salt pounds are gone in a few days if I do that
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:25

thanks for the info... but I've been snacking on pepperoni and string cheese and beef jerky and all kinds of salty stuff since I began this WOL... so I don't think that the salt is doing it... besides- I've been eating such a small amount of nuts that I don't think it would matter that much.
PS- It's isn't TOM (if you were curious)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

How about your water? are you keeping up to the level ? I know somedays, I don't drink as much as I thought I have and it can bloat you if your eating salty meats as well, like the jerky.

Just continue on and stay away from the scales for a few days.
cheers KAthy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:37

I drink water like crazy! I don't know... maybe I will stay off that scale (but it's addictive)

I read in a book that sometimes you'll gain a couple pounds before you have a "woosh".
Maybe that's what's happening... hmmm... maybe???
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:38
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Water retention and other pms symptoms can appear a week or so before TOM, so ther eis a chance it could still be that. As for the water retention, yes you were eating a ton of salt before, and now your adding more on. Cut back on the other salted products and drink extra water. A cup of green tea is also a natural duretic, so have one or more of them through out the day. Make sure to drink tons and tons of water to flush out the salt, and to keep your body form clinging to what water it has.

Remember too that nuts ccontain alot of calories. A serving of macadamia nuts is only 1oz and contains 200 calories. If you eat a full can, you are looking at 1400 calories usually. That much weight on the scale and the tight pants though are much more likely from bloating and water weight. It will pass
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:39
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

I will say that if you have been good and you are on plan stick to it...don't stress too much and keep up the good eating and you probably will woosh...my weight varies quite a bit and I have finally gotten used to it...as long as the trend is heading in the right direction...lets us know what happens ok
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 04:50

Stats: 206/192/175 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

I've had the same experience. Stuck right to the diet, felt great (and still do!), lost steadily, but I got up one morning this week (week five) and felt puffy. I'd gained about three pounds. My ring was tight and I felt a bit discouraged, though I assumed it was water weight. I've tried lowering salt, cutting out nuts and cheese and just going for the almost-no-carb route for a couple of days, and even tried having a couple of martinis (Which usually knock a pound or two of water weight off me overnight. I realize this can dehydrate you in the long run, and that it's is not a legitimate weight loss technique, and that you burn the alcohol before fat and can actually slow weight loss on Atkins -- I was just curious.) No dice on any of them. I've decided to just be patient for a while. I've read a number of posts here that claim you can go for weeks fluctuating a couple of pounds but not really losing and still not be in a "stall." And maybe I'm heading for a "whoosh." That would be nice, as I've got a bet with a buddy -- first one of us to 190 gets treated to the biggest steak they've got at the local steakhouse! (I'm on Atkins, he's counting calories, and I'm currently well in the lead ...)

Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 08:38

I said I'd stay off the scale (a digital, very expensive scale)... but this morning I got back on it and I'm up another pound!
From 174 to a whopping 179.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is NOT happening!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

All I want is for the scale to go the OTHER WAY! Not up, down! DOWN!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:04

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I'm up 6 pounds this week, my rings are tighter, I feel bigger - I'm wondering if the hot weather is causing retention? I'm drinking a lot of water and cut back on salty foods but still no luck, let's see what the next few weeks bring!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:11
Registered Member

Stats: 233/226.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

No real advice - I'm having the same problem though - up about 4 pounds for the last week - it's making me crazy! Tons of water for me!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:12

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Right at the tail end of induction I gained 6 lbs, going from 202 to 208 it seemed overnight. I then stalled at 208 for 4 weeks I was so depressed about it! In fact, I went on a conference and was depressed enough that I totally splurged and gorged on all sorts of goodies at the conference (creme brulee was my downfall!). When I got home I had gained even more and weighed 213

But I did start losing again the day after I got home, and in fact for the first week or so lost quicker than I ever had before. I now seem to be losing steadily. I think it's pretty normal for your weight to go up a bit after a significant loss. Your body is shocked and is trying to hold on to it's resources. You WILL lose it again! Don't let it get you too down

Robin

Last edited by relliott1 : Fri, Aug-08-03 at 09:15.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:21
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

All I can say - stay cool girl! This happens to everyone in the beginning. Water fluctuations, whatever is causing them, are very common. They drive people crazy but they are a fact of.....this WOE.
Don't know if this helps but I this can be a sign of a whoosh coming - empty fat cells retain water for some time and then - whoooosh!

Stay away from the scale and keep going! This is working and you are not alone.

Alina
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Gala,
SAME thing happened to me! After realizing it almost 2 weeks later (and lots of nuts) I eliminated them and am back on weight loss. Salt played a part in it and when I eliminated the salty nuts I went for PEANUTS......That was just as bad for me. Also don't forget if you are exercising muscle gain is playing a part.

I had a talk with my Doctor a few days ago and he said to just review what you are eating and stick to it (of course stay away from the scales) haha! It finally has me back on weight loss.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:49

Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%
Default this could be called personal?

If your visits to the bathroom are not regular or daily this may also be a culprit. Along with water weight. Taking 100% natural Psyllium Husk Fiber could get a sleepy system moving again?

Just something you may not have thought of.
regard,