Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 09:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default totally lost!!!!

I am so lost in all of this exercise stuff. I joined curves a month ago and really enjoy it. The only thing is that I have read that yu have to change your routine every month or your body will getuse to it and it won't work as well. O.K. I understand that, but if Curves is the same equipment what do I do? I have really been pushing myself on each machine. Going until my muscles hurt and then doing a couple more times. So does this mean that after a month it's not working any more? I do cardio and on the other 3 days I have started lifting smaller dumbbells. I also ordered the new firm videos that comes with the fanny lifter.

What do I do to change things so that my body continues to change also? I don't want muscles, just want to tone them.

Someone please help this newbie exerciser.

Thanks!
Lisa

Also how do I figure out what my heartrate should be? It isusually 21 beat for 10 seconds. Is this bad?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:34

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

Ruby, I've never heard of the "after a month thing" at Curves - I've been going since October and can still see the difference in my body from one week to another - I go 3 x per week, the beauty is that each machine addresses different parts of your body at all times, which is a good thing. You shouldn't go around more than 3 x - it's not going to do anything other than make you sore and put too much strain on your muscles. Your muscles need time to rest, to pushing them isn't the answer. You should speak someone at Curves, if they are letting you go through the circuit 5 times, they're not doing you any favours. Cardio is good for lessening fat and strengthening as well - Jogging / speed walking/ running is my favourite and of course, diet.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 12:43

BF:

O.K. I guess I did not say it right. I don't go around 5x I will do 3 or 4 reps more after the 30 secs. I only go 3x a week. I started at being able to only do 10 or so reps on each machine in the 30 secs now I'm up to 25 including the couple extra. Some machines when I get to the 30 secs I feel it and go on. Others I don't feel anything so I do a few more until I do. I do this because I thought that for the muscles to change you had to "hurt" them so that they repaired and became better. Is that not for toning and just for muscle building? See, I am at a total loss as to what is right and wrong. Can I do the firm videos on the days I don't go to curves or is that not letting my muscles rest? I am feeling totally confused.

I did'nt hear about the after a month thing at Curves I read it somewhere on this forum, but can't find it again.

I measure myself, but am interested to see what curves says when I get measured by them next week after doing their 30 day challenge.

Thanks for the help.

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 13:55

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Do what the folks at Curves suggest

I would follow the advice of those folks at Curves.

You're right. The general consensus (at least on this board) regarding exercise (and I guess weight resistance training in particular) is that you need to change things up to "shock" the body out of its routine.

But the change need not be drastic. Even changing intensity and reps can do it. Maybe for awhile you can go less intense but more reps. (I don't know how the machines at Curves work...if this would be possible?)

But bottom line is, take THEIR advice. They've seen more Curves cases than most of us on this list have.
-- Loretta
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%
Default Gaining Muscle

Quote:
What do I do to change things so that my body continues to change also? I don't want muscles, just want to tone them.

Don't worry about getting big muscles. Unless a woman's body manufactures lots of testosterone, or she is taking steroids, a woman's body will not develop bulging muscles like a man's body does. (and even men have a hard time developing bulging muscles)

Adding muscle is a good thing. Muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue, so you _may_ see some weight gain from additional muscle. But, muscles also require more energy than fat. So, your body will be constantly converting more body fat to fuel in order to feed your additional muscle mass. In the end, body fat, and the inches that you lose are much more important than your weight.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 15:05

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%

You don't have to make HUGE changes to "shock" your system. You can do small things to mix things up. For example, do weights before cardio (or vice versa if you usually do it that way already). Do abs first instead of last. Add some pilates or yoga. Or train differently. I usually do total body workouts each day I train, but I could switch to doing upper one day, lower the next day to vary my routine. Or, you could concentrate on cardio one month, then concentrate on strength the next, yoga the next, etc. Another way, is to change your intensity. You could do more reps with light weights on month, then fewer reps with heavier weights the next. Same goes for cardio. You could train at the top of your HR zone one month, then do low fat-burning the next. You can still do the same things, just mix it up a bit.
Hope this gives you some ideas, without confusing you even more.

Carole
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 08:48

BF:
Default Thank you!

Thanks to all of you. I think that I understad a little better now. I will just vary how I use my tapes and think I will be o.k. I got my new Firm videos the other day so now I can work upper one day lower next and abs another time. I can also change my weights and or reps.

I guess variety is the key. I got to tell ya, those firm videos are excellent. I did the lower body the first day and I was sore for 2 days. Guess they are working.

Thanks again for the advice.

Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 21:54
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi rugby! What Firm videos did you get. I am interested in getting workout videos.

red
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 03:25

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

If you're doing reps and they're too easy, add more weight. That's the point--building up your endurance/strength. You've got the right idea for the rest of it, tho.

Good luck!

N.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 10:59

BF:

Hi Red. I got the 3 new ones that come with the fanny lifter. They are hard if you are not an exercise person like me and a little difficult to follow at first, but boy do they work out your muscles. I did the lower body one first and my legs were sore for 2 days. Not bad, just enough to let me know I had some muscles there.

Nikkil, that is the problem with Curves. You can't add weight to the machines, but I am using weights with my videos and I will increase that as I go. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks!

Lisa
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 11:34
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi rugby. Can you tell me the names so I can look for them please? How often do you do them? Have you noticed a difference since using them?

red
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 08:47

BF:

Hi Red. They're called The Firm Body Sculpting System. They either come with a fanny lifter (2 piece stepping platforms) or a coupon for a discounted lifter. I got mine on ebay for $23.00 dollars and the lifter I sent for for $30.00 + 10.00 for shipping. Right now I am using a rubbermaid pastic stool. It's not perfect, but it will do for now. You can get the whole set for about $75.00 on ebay. Maybe less by now.

There are 3 different tapes. Cardio, ab and 1 with 2 segments for the upper and lower body. I have just started using them last week, but like I said they make you feel the workout. They are fast paced. I did'nt think that I would be able to do them having absolutely no exercise experience but they are not too hard. I should rephrase that, they get easier the more you do them. I am positive that I will see results soon. As a matter of fact they gurantee visible results in 10 workouts. I have yet to do the ab one as I know I won't be able to do it. I'm such a procrastinator. I know I need to start so I can work up to being able to do it. I think I will put that one in now and just do what I can. I know I just need to build up my ab and back muscles a little and then I will be o.k.

If you get them don't get discouraged if they seem too hard. I had a hard time a first. I just kept up the best I could at first and by the third time it was getting easier. Good luck.

Lisa

Oh, you can do them in whatever order or day you want. I'm just gonna mix them up for variety. Except the cardio, I do that every morning before breakfast. It is 55 mins long but I read in one of Natruska's threads that you only need 30 of cardio so that's how long I do it.