Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 06:46

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 198/189/149
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default a taste bud mystery

Now is this just me, or have you all noticed an actual CHANGE with your taste buds???? I mean, without all the sugar and starch, could it be that the way we perceive food tasting is really
altered now?

For example, last night me and dh are sitting down to dinner-natural chicken sausage in a sour cream/mustard sauce, with some kale and cabbage sauteed in a little butter and sesame oil,
and he goes "what is this- it is so GOOD" refering to the kale.
Now, as we are only in our 4th week of LCing, there is a lot I do not know, but one thing I DO know is that 5 weeks ago, he would have left that green lump on the plate; would have tasted 'bitter' to him.

Why does EVERYTHING taste so good now?????????

So I guess my question is... do things taste different/sweeter/more flavorful to you now? What foods do you notice this with? Is there a sciency thing to this or is it in the perception? Or am I just losing my mind along with the weight????? PLEASE please please respond with your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 06:59

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

No, you're not losing your mind

I used to put 4 teaspoons of sugar in my coffee - nothing every tasted sweet enough to me. Now I find natural peanut butter sweet. I've actually eaten unsweetened chocolate (the very good quality stuff, mind you) and not thought it was bitter.

Your tastes definitely change. I've found that hot and spicey are less hot and spicey than they used to be, as well.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 07:14

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

definitely noticed a difference with sweetness. To me, cream cheese is supersweet. Have a dab of that when I want sweet. I never thought about it, but I agree with you, Nat, that spicy isn't so spicy. I've been using an awful lot of Frank's hotsauce on my chicken

Nicole
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I sometimes tripple check things to make sure there is no sugar because it taste so sweet. Even Diet Rite sodas are incredibly sweet. I would swear they misbottled it!

I even make whip cream without any sweetner in it now. I never thought I would do that.

And I agree, spicey stuff doesn't seem so spicey. It is so cool to actually taste the real flavors of food.

Oh, and the fat on steak... OMG, that is so sweet! and tastey! I never would of eaten fat in my low-fat-gain-a-bunch-of-weight-craving-all-of-the-time days!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 18:44
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Most definitely. I've been posting this everywhere too, because I'm so amazed. Red peppers are SO sweet, now!

My DH is experiencing a renewed interest in veggies too -- very strange!

Besides things tasting sweet, I'm also noticing salt a lot more. I used to put tons of salt on everything, now I can't handle any added salt at all besides what a recipe calls for.

It's one of the best, and most unexpected, side effects of this WOE!

K.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 20:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkin's
Stats: 120/115/105
BF:
Progress: 33%

Yup. I had to have someone test my diet coke the other day because I SWORE it was regular.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 10:37

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Nesquita, I KNOW that one. I had a diet coke that was so sweet I SWORE they poisened me.

I did something freaky for me this morning. Ate plain yogurt, no sweetener. Surprisingly, it tasted just fine, go figure.

You know what grosses me out now? That prepackaged cooked chicken, like Louis Rich convenience chicken. They put dextrose in it (I assume as a preservative) and it tastes so sweet. Sweet meat? Blech!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 10:42

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Skamito
I did something freaky for me this morning. Ate plain yogurt, no sweetener. Surprisingly, it tasted just fine, go figure.
Ever had mascarpone cheese out of the carton? You'll swear you're eating something sweet. OMG

Nat