Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 05:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/196/169
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Hidden Carbs/Lables (UK)

Please could some one explain to me about hidden carbs - i have seen it mentioned all over the place here - a search came up with 695 entries (here's #696!!) and mostly in peoples journals - i really don't have a spare week to read through all of that!

Also - lables (In the UK) - is fibre included or not? can i believe any labling - and if i can't - how am i supposed to know what the carb contents are - I am guessing that the Carb counter doesn't include UK products but i will check that out now.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!

Thank you from a desparate LC-er

Emma
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 05:48

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Emma

Aren't you doing well on Atkins. Congratulations on your weight loss so far.

You asked about hidden carbs. This could be a problem, but mostly in the UK it is not. We have much stricter food labelling than in the US and so it is best just to accept what is written as carbs on the food labels. In the UK we also have the fibre removed, which they don't in the US. So UK labels are ECC - effective carbohydrate content.

In the US where carbs are less than 1 they do not have to be on the label. Thus there are many hidden carbs here. Another type of hidden carb are with polyols. These are a type of sugar, for example used in diabetic chocolate, chewing gum etc. For many these do not have to be counted in the carb content, but some find they make them stall.

I hope that this makes sense to you and is a quick answer to your questions.

How are you enjoying low carbing? I must admit I really like it. Unfortunately, as I've dieted before over the years my own weight loss is quite slow, but I feel great and satisfied most of the time.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 06:31
Registered Member

BF:

Little Anne

Thank you so much for your speedy reply!

Wow that helps so much - I am a bit less confused! Every little helps as they say!

Thank you for your compliments too!! I have to admit i did it with WW and got stuck at 4 stone, have put it down to metabolism and now trying this. Actually - to be truthfull, I don't like it! I feel I have opened Pandora's Box and and now too scared to go back to WW and living in a perpetual state of confusion and angst about what I am doing to myself with this because i feel so awful!

I thought it would be simple but having lived low fat cooking at home + lots of take aways and meals out (and cider) (hence getting fat) for my whole life I have to find a whole new way if I am to do this. I am worried if I go back to WW the carbs will get me all fat again and it wasn't really working anymore cos I knew to stay thin I would hardly be able to eat a thing for the rest of my life! So, I like the quantity of food but I am so tired, can hardly work out - my top hobby - and feel generally off - dizzy, down and I have hardly lost a thing!

Oops! sorry to be grumpy! Any suggestions? I am just starting a journal and so far have just moaned and put my supplements in it. That's the other thing - I am not a grumpy moaner really. Hope I can get to show you the old me - chirpy English Rose ( hahaha!)

Thank again.

Emma
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 23:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, modified
Stats: 195/175.5/140
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hello Emma from another Emma,
I too gained weight from too much cider!!!! One other place to look for hidden carbs is in low carb products. I dont know if they sell them in The UK, but Dr. Atkins himself makes low carb bars that contain polydextrose and glycerine, which he states does not raise Insulin levels like true sugar and does not include these carbs in his carb count. However they act like carbs to some people and can cause a stall of weight loss. Good luck to you!!! Congradts for the weight you have lost via WW.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 04:57
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Emma!

The only low carb bars i have found were in a fitness/work out equipment shop - I bought 2 for £5.00!!! and they tasted disgusting! so synthetic! i have wondered if they contributed to my lack of weigh loss ( i still ate them even though they were horrible - stupid me).

Take care
Emma