Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 21:46

Plan: General
Stats: 200/200/170 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Onwards to OWL!

Well, lost 8 pounds on induction, ~30% of my total weight to lose so I figure why not, move on!

I think I would have lost more except....my carb count after looking at fitday and factoring in my hidden carbs from metamucil..

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...light=yellowman

was ~12gm and extra carbs from wheat bran daily ~2gm. My average carb count was 30.37 , lowest being 24 and highest being 35 . The metamucil carbs are explained in the above thread. The wheat bran carbs are from 7gm carbs/6gm fiber from 1/4 cup wheat bran twice a day (2 gm net carbs).

Assuming I would have lost more weight with ~10 less carbs a day, I will place myself according to Atkin's criteria for metabolic resistance (as listed in DANDR (2002) page 158) at the very least average and possibly even low.

First thing, we are counting "net" or "effective" carbs in our carb count, correct? Carbs minus fiber minus sugar alchohols = "net" or "effective" carbs. My numbers above are based on net carbs.

Second, I will switch my fiber supplement to another with less hidden carbs (hopefully none, such as psyllium husks from the health food store). My question is should I automatically replace those 12 gm carbs (or how ever many I can be rid of) with more vegetable carbs to compensate? Or...

Should I just keep on with the plan to add 5gm a week? (which would actually put me beneath my present carb intake for several weeks)

By the way, I only take so much of a fiber supplement since my fiber intake pre Atkins was ~30gm a day or so (tons of fruits, veggies and whole grains). As my fiber intake increases on this diet, I will be slowly titrating my fiber supplement to compensate.

Opinions please=) And thanks for all the support and this wonderful forum! Love this place
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 13:35

Plan: General
Stats: 200/200/170 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 0%

Shameless bumpage