Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 20:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%
Default Glucosamine

I have had bad knees that creak and pop and get sore if my shoes are worn or I am too aggressive with exercise since before high school... BEFORE I got overweight even!!

I have had a terrible time this past week with my knees, especially my right one. I was talking to my step-father, who has bad knees also, and he recommends Glucosamine, which apparently is an amino sugar. He says after about 4 weeks of taking two or three a day, he is pain free, and remains so as long as he remembers to take the supplement.

My question is, how will glucosamine affect this diet? I've looked it up on the net, but really haven't found a lot of information other than the arthritic benefits. Nothing that states what you really take out of it nutritionally.

I want to make sure I am not going to be ruining the diet...

Also, in a fairly unrelated topic:

I've been working out regularly with weights and drinking lots of H2O for several months. This past week or two I've noticed that my muscles are tired, even after a days worth of a break. I've been re-reading the Protein Power, and wonder if I am needing extra Potassium? I don't know of any way I can really be sure without labs and I would hate to just take a supplement and go into a state where I have too much potassium.... Any suggestions?????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 20:42

Nobody!?!
Surely someone knows about this stuff and can help me out!

mb
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 02:44

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have no idea how this affects the diet but I have been taking Glocosomine and Chondroitin combo for almost a year now and it is life changing. The pain in my knees that I was taking anti-inflammatory drugs for is completely gone and I hike and exercise again. My knee pain was a part of my weight gain (among other factors like situational depression) so getting to do the treadmill again and living on the third floor has been wonderful! Again I have know idea how it affects LCing but I am not giving it up.

Susan
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 13:44

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there......

I'm not sure how taking Glucosamine will effect the 'diet' but I can tell you that it WILL help with the problem that you are describing. It was recommended to me by my physio-therapist who said he'd been taking it on and off for years to cope with old football injuries. I found that it worked very well for me in eliminating joint pain. I have not been using it since I started LCing.

Perhaps you will have to do your own experiment with it?

Marlaine
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 19:31

Thanks guys! Even tho my question still stands, at least I have strong testimonial that it should work! I'll have to get some...
Thanks again,

mb
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 03:54

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just one other thought. It took a month to six weeks before I felt any effects. It is not something you take in the morning to feel better that day. Just in case you might think it is not working, hang in there. Susan